Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bhatia-manral-diff-isis-ospf-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 10:39:03 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IS-IS and OSPF Difference Discussions
        Author(s)       : V. Manral, M. Bhatia
        Filename        : draft-bhatia-manral-diff-isis-ospf-00.txt
        Pages           : 42
        Date            : 2003-9-4

The increasing popularity of IS-IS [IS-IS] and OSPF [OSPF] over
the years has drawn significant attention to the relative merits
and de-merits of one with respect to the other. This draft presents
an elaborate comparison between the two routing protocols to explain
how the features and functionalities of one differs from the other.
Wherever applicable the differences between OSPFv2 and OSPFv3[OSPFv3]
have also been pointed out.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bhatia-manral-diff-isis-ospf-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-bhatia-manral-diff-isis-ospf-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bhatia-manral-diff-isis-ospf-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Erblichs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:03:46 -0700

This is going to be a multiple part comment,

        A) nits

        1) Abstract

        [IS-IS]  -> Has no item specified in References

        2) 1. Terminologies

        End System - Host   --> End System (ES) - Host
        Intermediate System - Router  ---> Intermediate System (IS) - Router

        Need something to specify that IS-IS uses the L1 and L2 to specify
        Level 1 and Level 2 respectively.

        3) References

        What are those strange characters? See [Martley], [Mesh], [OOB],
                                                [TUNNEL],

        4) 8. Checks on ...

        atleast --> at least

-------

        B) Technical comments

        1) 6.1 DR election deterministic..

        is sticky meaning --> is somewhat sticky because after the wait time
        has expired and a router has been elected, it tends to stay in that
        elected position. The reason that it is not fully stiicky is that
        if a elected router is added to a interface because of area merging,
        a DR will be selected from the two routers. This behaviour is specified
        in the OSPF RFCs.

        2) 7. Areas / Hierarchy

        There is a mixture of Level and L usages... You should probably pick
        one and stay with it.

        IS-IS

        - Routers are identified as L1, or L2, or L1/L2 routers.

        OSPF

        - Divides the routing domain into multiple area types.

        - The backbone area, area 0.0.0.0 or 0, is used to send packets
          from one non-backbone area to another non-backbone area.

        3) MTU Limitations

        OSPF

                Add

        - When the MTU values differ between routers, IP protocol
          allows the configuration to support non-fragmenting of packets that
are
          greater than MTU size and can result in the complete loss of packets.

        - When a packet is sent that is greater than MTU size and congestion
          occurs or is approaching (random early discard) within the internet,
          some implementations will drop these larger packets first.

        - When a packet is sent that is greater than MTU size, the loss of any
          part of this fragment will cause the complete packet to be resent.

        - Some vendors support disabling the MTU mismatch detection that
          would allow the adjacency to attempt to form.

        - Please note that MTU mismatch is one of a number of causes that
          can cause an adjacency to be stuck in exstart. One example could
          be duplicate router-ids.

        Mitchell Erblich
        Sr Software Engineer
        ---------------------------

[email-masked] wrote:
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Content-Type: text/plain
> Content-ID:     <[email-masked]>

---

From: Erblichs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:56:44 -0700

Part B: really short

        A) Nits

        1 ) Terminology

                There is no DR specified. However, there is a BDR specified.

                BDR should be specified after Backup Designated Router.

        2) 5.2 ATM Encapsulation

                TCP ACK  ??won??t  : will not

        3) 8. Checks on Hellos ...

                remove "-" at the end of the first paragraph.

                [RFC1195] : should have a blank space after RFC and
                be specified in references

                RFC1195 : should have a blank space or a "-"

        4) Probably should have DRothers..

        B) Technical comments

        ADDDD:
        OSPFv2 and OSPFv3 only form adjacencies between DRothers with the
hellos
        from the DR and/or the BDR in BMA and NBMA network configurations.

        The E-bit and N-bit are found in the options field of the hello
        packet.

        Mitchell Erblich
        Sr Software Engineer
        ------------------------------