Subject: OSPF Optional capabilities query

From: Mark Christopher Puddephatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:32:39 +0100

Group,

I am a PhD researcher at the University of Salford, UK, and am researching
into OSPF. I have read the recent draft "Extensions to OSPF for Advertising
Optional Router Capabilities", and it mentions that all the bits in the
Options field of the Hello packet are now in use.

However I cannot seem to find a full list of what they are all in use for.
RFC-2328 lists five bits of the 8, namely the E-bit, MC-bit, N/P-bit, DC-bit
and the EA-bit. RFC-2370 adds the O-bit. In Christian Huitema's "Routing in
the Internet" a T-bit is mentioned for TOS routing. That makes seven.

Could someone please point out to me what the final bit is being used for?

Thank you,

Mark

Mark Puddephatt
**********************************************************
[email-masked] or [email-masked]
CNTR www.cntr.net
School of Computing, Science and Engineering
University of Salford www.salford.ac.uk
**********************************************************

---

From: Parag Deshpande <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:09:49 -0500

draft-ietf-ospf-2547-dnbit-00.txt mentions the use of high order bit called
DN bit.

Parag.

---

From: Ehsan Rezaaifar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:28:32 -0400

Hi,

The DN bit is used for OSPF PE-CE,  introduced in
"draft-rosen-ppvpn-ospf2547-area0"

Take care,
Ehsan