Subject: [OSPF] KMART BOF

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:03:47 -0400

I'm been getting a lot of E-mails (well, at least 2) on the KMART  
BOF. There is no separate mailing list and we will not form a WG  
group. Here is the BOF summary I wrote:

The KMART (Key MAnagement for RouTing protocols) BOF took place on  
Wednesday, March 12. The name is somewhat of a misnomer as the  
meeting evolved into a sharing of perspectives between the Routing  
Area and Security Area on the direction for securing the routing  
protocols. No less than Four ADs spoke including Tim Polk on why he  
formed the BOF, Ross Callon on requirements for routing security  
(mainly authentication), Dave Ward on his perspective of the problems  
with the current IGPs, and Ron Bonica on the operational  
characteristics of BGP. Additionally, Sandra Murphy presented a brief  
summary of attacks on routing protocols and Eric Rescorla gave a fast  
paced tutorial on key management. The BOF was very well attended and  
the discussion was productive. We were particularly pleased that some  
the of ISP folks came to the mike and told us what problems they felt  
were the most pressing to solve. We'd like to encourage this dialogue  
to continue. The only action items from the meeting were for the  
Security Area to revisit the wording in RFC 3365 with respect to the  
routing protocol environment and for the Routing Area to pursue  
completion of some of the authentication work in the pipeline with  
renewed vigor. The TCP Authentication Option (which is actually in  
the Transport Area) was cited several times.

Thanks,
Acee

_______________________________________________
OSPF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf

---

From: "Vishwas Manral" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:17:16 -0700

Hi Acee,

Thanks for pushing the effort on this front forward and letting us
into the KMART story.:) Thanks a lot also for chairing the effort to
help in its progress.

In my view attacks on routing systems are relatively very easy and
considerably more catastrophic than currently known end user attacks.
I have been working on pushing similar issues for the last 3 years and
am pleased to see more vigor around the same. I had presented similar
work in IETF63 at the OSPF-WG which included a shorter as well as
longer term work (automated keying) for the same.

   http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/05aug/slides/ospf-6/sld1.htm.

Thanks again,
Vishwas

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:57:54 -0400

One correction - it RFC 4107 that mandated automated key management:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4107.txt?number=4107
Thanks,
Acee
On Mar 13, 2008, at 1:03 PM, Acee Lindem wrote:

> (mainly authentication), Dave Ward on his perspective of the  
> problems with the current IGPs, and Ron Bonica on the operational  
> characteristics of BGP. Additionally, Sandra Murphy presented a  
> brief summary of attacks on routing protocols and Eric Rescorla  
> gave a fast paced tutorial on key management. The BOF was very well  
> attended and the discussion was productive. We were particularly  
> pleased that some the of ISP folks came to the mike and told us  
> what problems they felt were the most pressing to solve. We'd like  
> to encourage this dialogue to continue. The only action items from  
> the meeting were for the Security Area to revisit the wording in  
> RFC 3365 with respect to the routing protocol environment and for  
> the Routing Area to pursue completion of some of the authentication  
> work in the pipeline with renewed vigor. The TCP Authentication  
> Option (which is actually in the Transport Area) was cited several  
> times.
>
>
> Thanks,
> Acee
>