Subject: [OSPF] Protocol Action: 'OSPFv2 HMAC-SHA Cryptographic Authentication' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 08:33:38 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'OSPFv2 HMAC-SHA Cryptographic Authentication '
   <draft-ietf-ospf-hmac-sha-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ospf-hmac-sha-07.txt

Technical Summary

   This document describes how the NIST Secure Hash Standard family of
   algorithms can be used with OSPF version 2's built-in cryptographic
   authentication mechanism.  This updates, but does not supercede,
   the cryptographic authentication mechanism specified in RFC 2328.

Working Group Summary

   No dissent reported (see PROTO writeup by Acee Lindem). Both WG 
   members and members of the security community have reviewed the 
   document.  There was controversy as to how the HMAC-SHA digest 
   would be computed and the subject draft is the agreed upon solution. 

Document Quality

   The document has been updated in response to Gen-Art and Sec-dir
   reviews. There is at least one prototype implementation. 

Personnel

   Acee Lindem is the Document Shepherd for this document. Ross
   Callon is the Responsible Area Director.