Subject: [OSPF] Query for OSPFv3 MIB range value

From: Abhishek Bhalotia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:53:00 +0530

Hi,

I have one query related to OSPFv3 MIB (rfc5643)

For the below field the range is defined from 1 to 1800

Ospfv3UpToRefreshIntervalTC 
             SYNTAX      Unsigned32 (1..1800) 

And below is one of the many entries that are using this Syntax

   ospfv3NbrRestartHelperAge OBJECT-TYPE  
           SYNTAX       Ospfv3UpToRefreshIntervalTC 
           UNITS        "seconds"  
           MAX-ACCESS   read-only  
           STATUS       current  
           DESCRIPTION  
              "Remaining time in current OSPF Graceful restart  
              interval, if the router is acting as a restart  
              helper for the neighbor."  
           ::= { ospfv3NbrEntry 14 }  

So now If Process is not HELPER enabled, and Current state of Helper is
NONE.

So what value must be displayed for  "ospfv3NbrRestartHelperAge" ?

Value 0 can not be displayed as it is not in range.

This problem does not exist in OSPFv2, as no such range is specified

Similar issues are present in other table entires too where the minimum
value is 1 instead of 0.

For eg:

ospfv3NbrIfId OBJECT-TYPE 
            SYNTAX          InterfaceIndex 
            MAX-ACCESS      read-only 
            STATUS          current 
            DESCRIPTION 
                "The interface ID that the neighbor advertises 
                in its Hello Packets on this link, that is, the 
                neighbor's local interface index." 
            ::= { ospfv3NbrEntry 12 } 

Here InterfaceIndex range start from 1

But in case of NBMA nbr which is created due to configuration, this field
will be 0. So how to display this field ?

Other similar fields are ROUTER-Id, [Interface DR/BDR values refer to Router
id, and for P2P interface how to display value 0 ]

Thanks and regards

Abhishek

****************************************************************************
***********

            This e-mail and attachments contain confidential information
from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address
is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way
(including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction,
or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is
prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
phone or email immediately and delete it!