Subject: [OSPF] Protocol Action: 'Security Extension for OSPFv2 when using Manual Key Management' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ospf-security-extension-manual-keying-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 05:25:03 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Security Extension for OSPFv2 when using Manual Key Management'
  (draft-ietf-ospf-security-extension-manual-keying-11.txt) as Proposed
Standard

This document is the product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alia Atlas and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-security-extension-manual-keying/

Technical Summary

  This document describes a non backward-compatible technique that may
  be used by OSPF (Open Shortest Path First) implementations to prevent
  replay attacks even on cryptographically secured messages. The draft
  increases the sequence number size to 8 bytes and carries it in OSPF 
  packet trailers.

Working Group Summary

  There were some discussions around the technique and some additional
  issues with existing implementations were found, which increased the 
  applicability of the given solution.

Document Quality

  The document updates RFC2328 and RFC5709. The document has existed 
  for more than 3 years as a WG document and has undergone 9 revisions
  in the period.

Personnel

  Vishwas Manral is the document shepherd and Alia Atlas is the 
  responsible AD.