Subject: [OSPF] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-ospf-node-admin-tag-07: (with COMMENT)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 06:34:25 -0700

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ospf-node-admin-tag-07: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-node-admin-tag/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

- "Tags carried by the
   administrative tag TLV SHOULD be used to indicate independent
   characteristics of a node."

I was initially confused by that sentence.
So there are tags carried by a different TLV than the administrative one?
Actually, no (I checked with one of the authors).
I would simply write:
   "Administrative tag TLV SHOULD be used to indicate independent
   characteristics of a node."

This would be in line with the definition:
   An administrative Tag is a 32-bit integer value that can be used to
   identify a group of nodes in the OSPF domain.

- Router information LSA [RFC4970] can have link, area or AS
   level flooding scope.  Choosing the flooding scope to flood the group
   tags are defined by the policies and is a local matter.

"and is a local matter". Hopefully there is some sort of centralized
management application that checks consistency.

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 13:38:53 +0000

Benoit,

> I was initially confused by that sentence.

My understanding is that "independent characteristics" applies on a
tag-by-tag basis.  I might suggest:

	Each tag carried by the administrative tag TLV SHOULD be used to
	indicate a characteristic of a node that is independent of the
	characteristics indicated by other administrative tags.

Thanks,
--David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Benoit Claise [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 9:34 AM
> To: The IESG
> Cc: Black, David; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; draft-ietf-ospf-node-admin-
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-ospf-node-admin-tag-07:
> (with COMMENT)
>

---

From: Shraddha Hegde <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 03:25:53 +0000

David/Ben,

Pls see in-line

Rgds
shraddha

-----Original Message-----
From: Black, David [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 7:09 PM
To: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>; The IESG <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Black, David <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-ospf-node-admin-tag-07: (with COMMENT)

Benoit,

> I was initially confused by that sentence.

My understanding is that "independent characteristics" applies on a tag-by-tag basis.  I might suggest:

	Each tag carried by the administrative tag TLV SHOULD be used to
	indicate a characteristic of a node that is independent of the
	characteristics indicated by other administrative tags.
<Shraddha> Thanks for the text. Updating -08 version with above text.

Thanks,
--David

> Cc: Black, David; [email-masked]; 
> [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; 
> draft-ietf-ospf-node-admin- [email-masked]; [email-masked]; 
> [email-masked]
> email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut 
> this introductory paragraph, however.)
> 
> 
> Please refer to 
> https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:37:48 +0200

Thanks, Benoit