Subject: [P2Prg] HICSS-38 CFP

From: Bill Yeager <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:00:12 -0800

[Our apologies if you receive multiple postings of this message]

    CALL FOR PAPERS: Peer-to-Peer Infrastructures and Applications
                  in the Software Technology Track
                    at the Thirty-eighth Annual
           HAWAI'I INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SYSTEM SCIENCES
                     on the Big Island of Hawaii
                         January 3 - 6, 2005

                 Additional detail on the web sites:
                   http://cui.unige.ch/OSG/hicss38/
                     http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/

The purpose of this one-day mini-track is to provide a forum for 
researchers
and practitioners to discuss software technology issues related to
peer-to-peer (P2P) computing and its evolving paradigm. P2P is an 
emerging,
21st century technology whose applications from the onset have 
exhibited both
its power and diversity. While examples of applications abound, because 
of the
youthfulness of P2P these applications more often than not run on
non-interoperable infrastructures. As a consequence others have seen a 
need for
infrastructure and protocol standards. The Project JXTA open source 
community,
and the research branch of the IETF, the Internet Research Task Force 
(IRTF)
Research Group on P2P are two salient examples. Finally, the research 
community
has taken it upon itself to put in place a solid theoretical foundation 
of P2P
computing by addressing issues like routing, trust, security, content
distribution, P2P platform performance, lookup, search, computational 
grids
based on P2P platforms, etc.

The above efforts are yielding a common paradigm for Peer-to-Peer 
computing.
It is a model for programming distributed systems that is characterized 
by
an increasing decentralization, autonomy and, if desired, anonymity of 
its
Peer components, where they can play the roles of both clients and 
servers,
thus requiring new approaches and patterns for distributed computing. It
necessitates a natural evolution or mapping of the Internet protocols 
that
then must also be characterized by the p2p requirements of participating
nodes. While industry as a whole is hard at work trying to impose 
tomorrow’s
“legacy architectures” by the means of so called Web Services, 
Peer-to-Peer
computing goes one step further and postulates that although there will
always be a need for centralization in the client-server sense, the 
general
model that should prevail is again one where roles are not clear cut but
dynamic. Peers are thus actors that appear and disappear dynamically, 
hence
pushing back and forth the edges of the network, potentially endorsing 
all
possible roles at any point in time. In this context, hard-wired 
centralized
services are only one among many interaction patterns that can be 
achieved in
Peer-to-Peer architectures that more closely capture the features of a 
real
world, distributed computing eco-system.

Similarly, the Semantic Web initiative by the W3C also builds on this 
departure
from centralized architectures and places the debate at the level of 
ontologies
and semantics. We may expect web services to occur and interoperate in
Peer-to-Peer architectures. In this context, the paradigm shift appears 
to lie
in the convergence of several technologies such as Peer-to-Peer 
frameworks,
Mobile Agents, Digital Rights Management / Digital Policy Management, 
trust
computing, cognitive or knowledge agents and ontologies.

In the above context, contributions of interest will be those that 
describe novel
business interactions and user coordination models, applications 
supporting the
peer-to-peer paradigm, and research that both pushes the frontiers of 
the
applications, infrastructures and protocols as well as verifies their 
limits with
respect to performance and scalability. Thus we envisage an 
interdisciplinary
forum that brings together researchers, practitioners from industry, 
and members
of open source communities to discuss and evaluate the technology 
aspect as well
as the interplay between technological capabilities and new emerging 
forms of
commercial electronic interaction. Topics related to the emerging P2P 
paradigm
include, but are not limited to, the following:

     - P2P system architectures and protocols
     - P2P overlay networks
     - P2P services
     - Security
     - Trust and reputation
     - Mobile objects (Agents)
     - Wireless infrastructures
     - Semantic and discovery services
     - Rights and policy languages
     - Digital rights management and policy management (DRM/DPM)
     - Self-organizing information systems
     - Multi-agent systems
     - Electronic communities and marketplaces
     - Monitoring, metering and auditing
     - Digital asset management and trading

Coordinators:

Primary Contact : Bill Yeager
IRTF Peer-to-Peer Research Group
E-mail: [email-masked]

Karl Aberer
EPF Lausanne, Dept. of Communication Systems, Switzerland
E-mail: [email-masked]

Jean-Henry Morin
University of Geneva - CUI, Switzerland
E-mail: [email-masked]

Aris Ouksel
The University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
E-mail: [email-masked]

IMPORTANT DEADLINES : New Dates !

March 31, 2004     Abstracts submitted for guidance and indication of
                    appropriate content.
June 15, 2004      Full papers submitted to Minitrack Chairs.
                    Contact minitrack chairs for submission instructions.
August 15, 2004    Notice of accepted papers sent to Authors.
October 1, 2004    Accepted manuscripts sent electronically to the
                    publisher. Author(s) must be registered for the
                    conference by this date.

The proceedings will be published by the IEEE Computer Society Press.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE (PRELIMINARY)

Sonia Bergamaschi, University of Modena, Italy
Peter Dadam, University of Ulm, Germany
Shamkant Navathe, Georgia Tech, USA
Oliver Gunther, Humboldt University, Germany
Ouri Wolfson, Univ. Illinois Chicago, USA
Claudio Sartori, University of Bologna, Italy
Tawfik Jelassi, ENPC, France
Peter Scheuermann, Northwestern University, USA
Manfred Hauswirth, EPFL, Switzerland
Heiko Ludwig, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, USA
Tamer Ozsu, University of Waterloo, Canada
Rachid Guerrraoui, EPFL, Switzerland
Bruno Codenotti, CNR, Italy
Ciaran Bryce, University of Geneva - CUI, Switzerland
Guy Genilloud,  Financial Systems Architects, Switzerland
Yves Pigneur, University of Lausanne - INFORGE, Switzerland
Dimitri Konstantas, University of Geneva - CUI, Switzerland
Vassilis Prevelakis, Drexel University, USA
Yair Babad, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
Tomas Sander, HP Labs, USA
Esmail Salehi-Sangari, Lulea University of Technology, Sweden
Manolis Koubarakis, Technical University of Crete, Greece
Ling Liu, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
Rita Chen, Sun Microsystems, USA
Asuman Dogac, Middle East Technical University, Turkey
Bobby Bhattacharjee, University of Maryland, USA
Tsung-Nan Lin, National Taiwan University, Taiwan

INSTRUCTIONS FOR PAPER SUBMISSION:

1. Submit electronically your full paper by June 15, 2004. Full papers
should have an abstract and be 20 - 25 typewritten, double-spaced pages
in length including diagrams.
(NOTE: The final paper will be 10 pages, double-column, single spaced.
The proceedings will be published by the IEEE Computer Society Press.
Authors will be required to follow the general author instructions of
IEEE Computer Society Press: http://computer.org/cspress/instruct.htm )

2. Do NOT submit the manuscript to more than one Minitrack. Papers
should contain original material and not be previously published, or
currently submitted for consideration elsewhere.

3. Each paper must have a title page to include title of the paper,
full name of all authors, and complete addresses including
affiliation(s), telephone number(s), and e-mail address(es).

4. The first page of the manuscript should include only the title and a
300-word abstract of the paper.

Submission Address: [email-masked] and [email-masked]

Authors are requested to submit the full manuscript electronically in
PDF, Postscript, Word or RTF format by June 15, 2004 to 
[email-masked]
and [email-masked]

THE SOFTWARE TECHNOLOGY TRACK AT HICSS-38
     Chair: Gul Agha;
     Email: [email-masked];
     WWW  : http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/Hicss38/fsfcfp.htm

For the latest information; visit the HICSS web site at:
     http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/

HICSS conferences are devoted to advances in the information, computer,
and system sciences, and encompass developments in both theory and
practice.   Invited papers may be theoretical, conceptual, tutorial or
descriptive in nature.  Submissions undergo a peer referee process and
those selected for presentation will be published in the Conference
Proceedings.  Submissions must not have been previously published.

CONFERENCE ADMINISTRATION:

Ralph Sprague, Conference Chair
Email: [email-masked]

Sandra Laney, Conference Administrator
Email: [email-masked]

Eileen Dennis, Track Administrator
Email: [email-masked]

2005 HICSS-38 CONFERENCE VENUE:

Hilton Waikoloa Village (on the Big Island of Hawaii)
425 Waikoloa Beach Drive
Waikoloa, Hawaii 96738
Tel: 1-808-886-1234
Fax: 1-808-886-2900
http://www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com/

NOTE:  December 1 is the deadline to guarantee hotel room reservation at
        conference rate.

_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg