Subject: [P2Prg] P2P architecture interest?

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:20:18 -0800

Aaron just mentioned that IRSG is looking at chartering new work as part of 
P2P-RG.

One topic that we've been talking about in P2PSIP is some architecture work 
for P2P protocols (for example, the HIPHOP (1) and RELOAD (2) proposals both 
include some discussion of possible protocol layering).

I'm not sure if this is research or engineering, so I'll ask - do people on 
this list think everyone knows how to do this? (For instance, is there an 
end-to-end transport protocol at the overlay level? this is one discussion 
I've been part of during IETF 71).

Replies on-list or off-list are fine.

Thanks,

Spencer

(1) http://tools.ietf.org/wg/p2psip/draft-matthews-p2psip-hip-hop-00.txt

(2) http://tools.ietf.org/wg/p2psip/draft-bryan-p2psip-reload-02.txt 

_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg

---

From: Bill Yeager <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 18:01:03 -0800

Hi Spencer,

On Dec 6, 2007, at 5:20 PM, Spencer Dawkins wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is research or engineering, so I'll ask - do  
> people on this list think everyone knows how to do this? (For  
> instance, is there an end-to-end transport protocol at the overlay  
> level? this is one discussion I've been part of during IETF 71).

I think such a protocol is very important for true end-to-end  
connectivity at the Application layer of the protocol stack. JXTA  
came out of the box with one.

Such a protocol can define a fully qualified address at the  
application layer that is independent of the underlying layers and  
has longevity, i. e., endure for the lifetime of the peer to which it  
is bound. This creates a virtual or overlay network at the  
application layer that is independent of the complexities of the  
underlying layers.

That's my take,

Bill