Subject: [p2prg] AP2PC09 Deadline Extended

From: Adrian Perreau de Pinninck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:56:52 +0100

[Apologies for multiple copies]

*********************

Due to several requests, we are pleased to announce that the paper  
submission deadline has been extended until 16th February 2009.

*********************

CALL FOR PAPERS

Eighth International Workshop on
AGENTS AND PEER TO PEER COMPUTING (AP2PC 2009)

http://p2p.ingce.unibo.it/

to be held at AAMAS 2009
Eighth International Joint Conference on
Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems

Budapest, Hungary
May 10-15, 2009

SCOPE

P2P networking is the term being used to describe a new crop of  
decentralized approaches to self-organize large overlay networks where  
participants can share and exploit enormous autonomous resources. At  
their heart P2P systems embody the earliest principles of the
internet, decentralised systems of similarly enabled 'peers'. What  
makes P2P networking different is that the times have changed; the  
numbers of peers involved has multiplied, their rate of turn-over has  
increased, and they now operate as an overlay within the network
application layer. New techniques such as distributed hash-tables  
(DHTs), semantic routing, and Plaxton Meshes are being combined with  
traditional concepts such as Hypercubes, Trust Metrics and caching  
techniques to pool together the untapped computing power at the  
"edges" of the internet.

The possibilities of this paradigm have generated a lot of interest in  
research, industrial and social networks. P2P network collaboration is  
redefining the way of communicating, publishing, doing business and  
building collective knowledge thanks mainly to the advent of free or  
affordable technologies. For instance, the major film studios and the  
music corporations after realizing the economic potential of p2p  
networks, have started selling their product online. Citizen  
journalism is an example based on P2P interactions, in which the idea  
is that people without professional journalism training can use the  
tools of modern technology and the global distribution of the Internet  
to create, augment or fact-check media on their own or in  
collaboration with others; P2P reputation-based mechanisms are used to
validate facts/news. P2P lending allows person to skip the bank and  
borrow from individuals; people can borrow from complete strangers or  
just use P2P lending services to structure loans between friends and  
family (e.g. Booper, Zopa, Kiva). Recently projects based on P2P  
architectures, for exchanging and sharing knowledge among companies  
(e.g. NeP4B), have been funded; the companies of any nature, size and  
geographic location will be able to search for partners, exchange  
data, negotiate and collaborate without limitations and constraints.  
For these and other similar phenomena has been coined at Harvard Law  
School the term Commons-based peer production to describe a new model  
of economic production in which the creative energy of large numbers  
of people is coordinated into large, meaningful projects, mostly  
without traditional hierarchical organization or financial  
compensation. The Internet is going to be revolutionized by  
applications able to harness the power of P2P networking to bring  
together communities of people and organizations with similar  
interests or goals, and the agent technology offers the potential for  
developing such systems.

In P2P computing peers and services organise themselves dynamically  
without central coordination in order to foster knowledge sharing and  
collaboration, both in cooperative and non-cooperative environments.
The success of P2P systems strongly depends on a number of factors.  
First, the ability to ensure equitable distribution of content and  
services. Economic and business models which rely on incentive  
mechanisms to supply contributions to the system are being developed,
along with methods for controlling the "free riding" issue. Second,  
the ability to enforce provision of trusted services. Reputation based  
P2P trust management models are becoming a focus of the research  
community as a viable solution. The trust models must balance both  
constraints imposed by the environment (e.g. scalability) and the  
unique properties of trust as a social and psychological phenomenon.
Recently, we are also witnessing a move of the P2P paradigm to embrace  
mobile computing and sensor networks in an attempt to achieve even  
higher ubiquitousness.
The possibility of services related to physical location and the  
relation with agents in physical proximity introduces new  
opportunities and also new technical challenges. The MultiAgent  
community can make substantial contributions with respect to all of  
these issues.

The agent paradigm serves to embody the description of the task  
environments, the decision-support capabilities, the collective  
behavior, and the interaction protocols of peers. Agent research puts  
its emphasis on addressing issues of user autonomy, coordination,
trust, and decision making in the context of activities of other  
agents. P2P systems are now providing infrastructures which are  
sufficiently robust and scalable in order to enable the realization  
and application of agent-based coordination strategies to large-scale  
systems. Research on P2P computing is currently performed in a wide  
range of areas, such as distributed computing, MultiAgent systems,  
databases, computational trust and mobile networks. Although this  
research is based on similar concepts, exchange of ideas among the
communities is non-trivial, due to the different perspectives, the  
focus on different problems or applications and the huge differences  
in the methodological frameworks and technical approaches being  
applied. To achieve progress by exploiting the work of distinct areas  
these barriers have to be overcome. Thus this workshop is of interest  
to all of the aforementioned communities that see the potential of the  
agent paradigm in P2P computing for several important research issues,  
such as semantic interoperability, trustworthiness, negotiation, just  
to cite only some of them. Research in agent systems in particular  
appears to be most relevant because, since their inception, MultiAgent  
Systems have always been thought of as collections of peers. Moreover  
for the MultiAgent community the workshop opens an opportunity to  
explore P2P systems as real large scale open environments of  
heterogeneous and autonomous agents in which studying, developing and  
tuning their methodological framework and technical solutions having  
also the possibility to disseminate their results to other areas  
working on P2P infrastructures.

This workshop will bring together researchers working on agent  
systems   and P2P computing with the intention of strengthening this  
connection.
Researchers from other related areas such as distributed systems,  
networks and database systems will also be welcome (and, in our  
opinion, have a lot to contribute). We seek original contributions on  
the following non-exhaustive list of topics:

- Intelligent agent techniques for P2P computing
- P2P computing techniques for MultiAgent Systems
- The Semantic Web, Semantic Coordination Mechanisms and P2P systems
- Scalability, coordination, robustness and adaptability in P2P systems
- Self-organization and emergent behavior in P2P networks
- E-commerce and P2P computing
- Participation and Contract Incentive Mechanisms in P2P Systems
- Computational Models of Trust and Reputation
- Social Networks, Community of interest building, regulation and  
behavioral norms
- P2P Data Mining Agents
- P2P architectures
- Scalable Data Structures for P2P systems
- Services in P2P systems (service definition languages, service  
discovery, filtering and composition etc.)
- Knowledge Discovery and P2P Data Mining Agents
- P2P oriented information systems
- Information ecosystems and P2P systems
- Security issues in P2P networks
- Pervasive computing in mobile system, ad-hoc, mesh and sensor networks
- Environments or solutions for bioinformatics based on P2P and Agent  
paradigms
- Grid computing solutions based on agents and P2P paradigms
- Legal issues and Intellectual property rights in P2P systems
- P2P body sensor networks
- Agents and P2P networks for Ambient Intelligence

IMPORTANT DATES

Paper submission: 16th February 2009 (extended deadline)
Acceptance notification: 1st March 2009
Workshop: 10-15 May 2009
Springer post-proceedings camera-ready: 30th May 2009

SUBMISSION AND PUBLICATION

Unpublished papers should be formatted according to the LNCS/LNAI    
author instructions for proceedings and they should not be longer than  
12 pages (about 5000 words including figures, tables, references,  
etc.). Papers should be submitted as a pdf file through the conference.
management system, at the following url: https://cmt.research.microsoft.com/AP2PC09/
As in preceding editions accepted papers will be published by Springer
in the Lecture Notes on Computer Science serie  s (LNCS).

REGISTRATION AND ACCOMMODATION

The accommodation and workshop registrations will be handled by the  
AAMAS 2009 organization along with the main conference registration.

(further details are available at http://p2p.ingce.unibo.it/)

dott. ing. Francesco Guerra
Researcher in Computer Engineering, Ph. D.
Dipartimento di Economia Aziendale
Universita' di Modena e Reggio Emilia
Phone: +39  059  205 6264 / +39  059  205 6869
Fax:   +39  059  205 6129
Web: www.dbgroup.unimo.it/~guerra
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:51:02 -0800

Is there a way to protect the IETF mailing lists from such spam?
Or do all these conference organizers think there is time and budget to attend them and make a career of it?

Henry

________________________________
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Adrian Perreau de Pinninck
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [p2prg] AP2PC09 Deadline Extended

*********************

Due to several requests, we are pleased to announce that the paper submission deadline has been extended until 16th February 2009.

*********************

CALL FOR PAPERS

to be held at AAMAS 2009

Budapest, Hungary
May 10-15, 2009

SCOPE

P2P networking is the term being used to describe a new crop of decentralized approaches to self-organize large overlay networks where participants can share and exploit enormous autonomous resources. At their heart P2P systems embody the earliest principles of the
internet, decentralised systems of similarly enabled 'peers'. What makes P2P networking different is that the times have changed; the numbers of peers involved has multiplied, their rate of turn-over has increased, and they now operate as an overlay within the network
application layer. New techniques such as distributed hash-tables (DHTs), semantic routing, and Plaxton Meshes are being combined with traditional concepts such as Hypercubes, Trust Metrics and caching techniques to pool together the untapped computing power at the "edges" of the internet.

The possibilities of this paradigm have generated a lot of interest in research, industrial and social networks. P2P network collaboration is redefining the way of communicating, publishing, doing business and building collective knowledge thanks mainly to the advent of free or affordable technologies. For instance, the major film studios and the music corporations after realizing the economic potential of p2p networks, have started selling their product online. Citizen journalism is an example based on P2P interactions, in which the idea is that people without professional journalism training can use the tools of modern technology and the global distribution of the Internet to create, augment or fact-check media on their own or in collaboration with others; P2P reputation-based mechanisms are used to
validate facts/news. P2P lending allows person to skip the bank and borrow from individuals; people can borrow from complete strangers or just use P2P lending services to structure loans between friends and family (e.g. Booper, Zopa, Kiva). Recently projects based on P2P architectures, for exchanging and sharing knowledge among companies (e.g. NeP4B), have been funded; the companies of any nature, size and geographic location will be able to search for partners, exchange data, negotiate and collaborate without limitations and constraints. For these and other similar phenomena has been coined at Harvard Law School the term Commons-based peer production to describe a new model of economic production in which the creative energy of large numbers of people is coordinated into large, meaningful projects, mostly without traditional hierarchical organization or financial compensation. The Internet is going to be revolutionized by applications able to harness the power of P2P networking to bring together communities of people and organizations with similar interests or goals, and the agent technology offers the potential for developing such systems.

In P2P computing peers and services organise themselves dynamically without central coordination in order to foster knowledge sharing and collaboration, both in cooperative and non-cooperative environments.
The success of P2P systems strongly depends on a number of factors. First, the ability to ensure equitable distribution of content and services. Economic and business models which rely on incentive mechanisms to supply contributions to the system are being developed,
along with methods for controlling the "free riding" issue. Second, the ability to enforce provision of trusted services. Reputation based P2P trust management models are becoming a focus of the research community as a viable solution. The trust models must balance both constraints imposed by the environment (e.g. scalability) and the unique properties of trust as a social and psychological phenomenon.
Recently, we are also witnessing a move of the P2P paradigm to embrace mobile computing and sensor networks in an attempt to achieve even higher ubiquitousness.
The possibility of services related to physical location and the relation with agents in physical proximity introduces new opportunities and also new technical challenges. The MultiAgent community can make substantial contributions with respect to all of these issues.

The agent paradigm serves to embody the description of the task environments, the decision-support capabilities, the collective behavior, and the interaction protocols of peers. Agent research puts its emphasis on addressing issues of user autonomy, coordination,
trust, and decision making in the context of activities of other agents. P2P systems are now providing infrastructures which are sufficiently robust and scalable in order to enable the realization and application of agent-based coordination strategies to large-scale systems. Research on P2P computing is currently performed in a wide range of areas, such as distributed computing, MultiAgent systems, databases, computational trust and mobile networks. Although this research is based on similar concepts, exchange of ideas among the
communities is non-trivial, due to the different perspectives, the focus on different problems or applications and the huge differences in the methodological frameworks and technical approaches being applied. To achieve progress by exploiting the work of distinct areas these barriers have to be overcome. Thus this workshop is of interest to all of the aforementioned communities that see the potential of the agent paradigm in P2P computing for several important research issues, such as semantic interoperability, trustworthiness, negotiation, just to cite only some of them. Research in agent systems in particular appears to be most relevant because, since their inception, MultiAgent Systems have always been thought of as collections of peers. Moreover for the MultiAgent community the workshop opens an opportunity to explore P2P systems as real large scale open environments of heterogeneous and autonomous agents in which studying, developing and tuning their methodological framework and technical solutions having also the possibility to disseminate their results to other areas working on P2P infrastructures.

This workshop will bring together researchers working on agent systems   and P2P computing with the intention of strengthening this connection.
Researchers from other related areas such as distributed systems, networks and database systems will also be welcome (and, in our opinion, have a lot to contribute). We seek original contributions on the following non-exhaustive list of topics:

- Social Networks, Community of interest building, regulation and behavioral norms
- Services in P2P systems (service definition languages, service discovery, filtering and composition etc.)
- Environments or solutions for bioinformatics based on P2P and Agent paradigms

IMPORTANT DATES

Unpublished papers should be formatted according to the LNCS/LNAI   author instructions for proceedings and they should not be longer than 12 pages (about 5000 words including figures, tables, references, etc.). Papers should be submitted as a pdf file through the conference.
management system, at the following url: https://cmt.research.microsoft.com/AP2PC09/
As in preceding editions accepted papers will be published by Springer
in the Lecture Notes on Computer Science serie  s (LNCS).

The accommodation and workshop registrations will be handled by the AAMAS 2009 organization along with the main conference registration.

dott. ing. Francesco Guerra
Researcher in Computer Engineering, Ph. D.
Dipartimento di Economia Aziendale
Universita' di Modena e Reggio Emilia
Phone: +39  059  205 6264 / +39  059  205 6869
Fax:   +39  059  205 6129
Web: www.dbgroup.unimo.it/~guerra<http://www.dbgroup.unimo.it/~guerra>
Email: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: "Schmidt, Christian 1. (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:58:25 +0100

Hi,
 
in
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/PeerToPeerResearchGroup
 
the links to the various old subgroup Mail Lists do not work, I always
get the reply: No such list xxx.
Please give me a hint, how to get access to this information.
 
Thanks
Best Regards
Christian Schmidt

---

From: stefano previdi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:13:43 +0100

Well, being this a research group, it looks (to me) that call for papers
announcements may have sense if in acceptable pace.

The list has been dormant for quite a while so let's try first to
re-activate it and see later how much of disturbance is given by
announcements.

Hope to see you at next p2prg meeting in SF.

s.

On Feb 12, 2009, at 3:51 PM, Henry Sinnreich wrote:

> Or do all these conference organizers think there is time and  
> budget to attend them and make a career of it?
>
>
>
> Henry
>
>
>
> decentralized approaches to self-organize large overlay networks  
> where participants can share and exploit enormous autonomous  
> resources. At their heart P2P systems embody the earliest  
> principles of the
> numbers of peers involved has multiplied, their rate of turn-over  
> has increased, and they now operate as an overlay within the network
> (DHTs), semantic routing, and Plaxton Meshes are being combined  
> with traditional concepts such as Hypercubes, Trust Metrics and  
> caching techniques to pool together the untapped computing power at  
> the "edges" of the internet.
>
> The possibilities of this paradigm have generated a lot of interest  
> in research, industrial and social networks. P2P network  
> collaboration is redefining the way of communicating, publishing,  
> doing business and building collective knowledge thanks mainly to  
> the advent of free or affordable technologies. For instance, the  
> major film studios and the music corporations after realizing the  
> economic potential of p2p networks, have started selling their  
> product online. Citizen journalism is an example based on P2P  
> interactions, in which the idea is that people without professional  
> journalism training can use the tools of modern technology and the  
> global distribution of the Internet to create, augment or fact- 
> check media on their own or in collaboration with others; P2P  
> reputation-based mechanisms are used to
> borrow from individuals; people can borrow from complete strangers  
> or just use P2P lending services to structure loans between friends  
> and family (e.g. Booper, Zopa, Kiva). Recently projects based on  
> P2P architectures, for exchanging and sharing knowledge among  
> companies (e.g. NeP4B), have been funded; the companies of any  
> nature, size and geographic location will be able to search for  
> partners, exchange data, negotiate and collaborate without  
> limitations and constraints. For these and other similar phenomena  
> has been coined at Harvard Law School the term Commons-based peer  
> production to describe a new model of economic production in which  
> the creative energy of large numbers of people is coordinated into  
> large, meaningful projects, mostly without traditional hierarchical  
> organization or financial compensation. The Internet is going to be  
> revolutionized by applications able to harness the power of P2P  
> networking to bring together communities of people and  
> organizations with similar interests or goals, and the agent  
> technology offers the potential for developing such systems.
>
> without central coordination in order to foster knowledge sharing  
> and collaboration, both in cooperative and non-cooperative  
> environments.
> the ability to enforce provision of trusted services. Reputation  
> based P2P trust management models are becoming a focus of the  
> research community as a viable solution. The trust models must  
> balance both constraints imposed by the environment (e.g.  
> scalability) and the unique properties of trust as a social and  
> psychological phenomenon.
> Recently, we are also witnessing a move of the P2P paradigm to  
> embrace mobile computing and sensor networks in an attempt to  
> achieve even higher ubiquitousness.
> behavior, and the interaction protocols of peers. Agent research  
> puts its emphasis on addressing issues of user autonomy, coordination,
> and application of agent-based coordination strategies to large- 
> scale systems. Research on P2P computing is currently performed in  
> a wide range of areas, such as distributed computing, MultiAgent  
> systems, databases, computational trust and mobile networks.  
> Although this research is based on similar concepts, exchange of  
> ideas among the
> focus on different problems or applications and the huge  
> differences in the methodological frameworks and technical  
> approaches being applied. To achieve progress by exploiting the  
> work of distinct areas these barriers have to be overcome. Thus  
> this workshop is of interest to all of the aforementioned  
> communities that see the potential of the agent paradigm in P2P  
> computing for several important research issues, such as semantic  
> interoperability, trustworthiness, negotiation, just to cite only  
> some of them. Research in agent systems in particular appears to be  
> most relevant because, since their inception, MultiAgent Systems  
> have always been thought of as collections of peers. Moreover for  
> the MultiAgent community the workshop opens an opportunity to  
> heterogeneous and autonomous agents in which studying, developing  
> and tuning their methodological framework and technical solutions  
> having also the possibility to disseminate their results to other  
> areas working on P2P infrastructures.
>
> systems   and P2P computing with the intention of strengthening  
> this connection.
> opinion, have a lot to contribute). We seek original contributions  
> on the following non-exhaustive list of topics:
>
> author instructions for proceedings and they should not be longer  
> than 12 pages (about 5000 words including figures, tables,  
> references, etc.). Papers should be submitted as a pdf file through  
> the conference.
> _______________________________________________
> p2prg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg

---

From: stefano previdi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:13:58 +0100

On Feb 18, 2009, at 10:58 AM, Schmidt, Christian 1. (NSN - DE/Munich)  
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/ 
> PeerToPeerResearchGroup
>
> the links to the various old subgroup Mail Lists do not work, I  
> always get the reply: No such list xxx.

have these lists been active at some point ? I can only find
archives for the p2prg main list.

s.

---

From: "Schmidt, Christian 1. (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:17:47 +0100

Hi Stefano,

I am talking about the links in this section of the P2P RG page. If these lists never have been active,
Why are they mentioned and "linked" in the P2P-RG home page?

Archive of old subgroup Mail Lists¶
   p2prg-apps
   p2prg-drlp
   p2prg-metadata
   p2prg-mobility
   p2prg-overlay
   p2prg-security

Regards
Christian 

-----Original Message-----
From: ext stefano previdi [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:14 PM
To: Schmidt, Christian 1. (NSN - DE/Munich)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [p2prg] Archive of old subgroup Mail Lists

s.

---

From: stefano previdi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:21:38 +0100

On Feb 18, 2009, at 1:17 PM, Schmidt, Christian 1. (NSN - DE/Munich)  
> Why are they mentioned and "linked" in the P2P-RG home page?

hmmm... I have no clue...

When we re-activated the group I found the existing wiki page.
Maybe a cleanup is necessary, I'll check this out.

s.

---

From: Bill Yeager <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:48:09 -0800

Hi,

These subgroups were once maintained at the University of Maryland in  
our then attempt to create various interest list subgroups for  
discussions. They were abandoned some time ago.

And yes, we always accepted CFP's for relevant conferences.

Best regards,
Bill