Subject: [p2prg] New version of p2prg-mythbustering

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:13:34 +0200

Folks,

we have just submitted draft-marocco-p2prg-mythbustering-01; main
changes include a new section about caching and some text about possible
impacts on peering. This latter point in particular, i.e. possible
impacts on peering and transit economics, is probably the area where
more investigation is needed; any thoughts/comments are as usual very
welcome.

The draft is available at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-marocco-p2prg-mythbustering-01

-- 
Ciao,
Enrico

---

From: Thorsten Strufe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:53:11 +0200

nice write-up! :-)

  it could be worthwhile to extend the draft by "myths on the how to"
(the title suggests a rather complete mythbustering of keeping traffic
local in p2p) and analyzing the metrics people are proposing to use to
try achieving this objective (ping? throughput? ever seen
pings/throughput between two neighboring dsl connections of the same
provider? ever compared that to the pings/throughput from the same
dsl-host to a host in a well connected organization (like a university)?
we did some experiments a while back to see that pings were by a factor
of around 100 faster in the second case, now we don't even have to waste
energy thinking about using throughput..). can geo location help (if
you're lucky and the internetworking reflects the geographical location
which it usually does not)? how about selecting the same AS (might
sometimes help but there are providers with more than one and other
providers sharing the same AS..) or trying IP-prefix matching?

  there might be good reasons to using some of these metrics (ping,
throughput, error-rates) for neighbor selection in p2p (like: 4.
increased application performance), keeping the traffic local to isps in
the general case is none of them.

  "collateral failure" could be another nice myth that keeps popping up
every now and then, even though you might argue that it's partly dealt
with in 7

  btw: the structure could be changed to keep the myths in their own
section rather than having (1) introduction, (2) definitions, (3) myth
1, (4) myth 2, etc...

my 2ct,

thorsten

Enrico Marocco wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> p2prg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg

-- 
Thorsten Strufe                               Peer-to-Peer Networks
Technische Universität Darmstadt    http://www.p2p.tu-darmstadt.de/