Subject: Re: [p2prg] Review of draft-irtf-p2prg-rtc-security-01

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:19:35 +0200

Vijay, we have just submitted version -02 that should address most of
your comments. The draft is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-p2prg-rtc-security-02.txt

Diffs can be viewed at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-irtf-p2prg-rtc-security-01.txt&url2=http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-p2prg-rtc-security-02.txt

Just a couple of more comments inline. Thanks again for your
great review!

Vijay K. Gurbani wrote:
> 5) In Table 1, the row "Availability": I am not sure I follow the
>   difference here.  Yes, in file-sharing, a file can be replicated at
>   many places in the DHT.  This is also true of realtime communications,
>   where a user's location can have many replicas in the DHT.

Nope, this part is about availability of the resources themselves, and
not that of the DHT records storing their locations. In this sense,
users are more vulnerable than files because they are unique: you can
quite easily attack a particular user and make them unavailable by
simply flooding their client, but you can't do the same with a file (you
would have to flood all the clients storing replicas and these are often
thousands).

> 11) S7.2.1: The targeted denial of service attack described here
>   is no different than it would be if this was a file-sharing p2p
>   network, right?  Just curious why you consider it germane to
>   a realtime communications p2p network.

It is actually the same attack, but we remind it here as it is relevant
to the case of realtime communications too. We've reworded that sentence
so that it wouldn't sound as if this can occur only in RTC though.

> 2) S1, page four

This seems a bit vague ;-)

-- 
Ciao,
Enrico