Subject: [p2prg] Workshop on Collaborative Security Technologies (CoSec 2009)

From: Dr Mario Kolberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:16:38 +0100

Workshop on Collaborative Security Technologies (CoSec 2009)

in conjunction with the

3rd International Conference on
Internet Multimedia Systems Architecture and Application (IMSAA-09)
Bangalore, India
9 - 11 December 2009

The increasing number of Internet-scale threats is becoming a serious
concern for any organization which is connected to the
Internet. With decreasing large-scale computing and networking costs,
attackers are sufficiently equipped to carry out wide-
ranged long-lived collaborative attacks on a single target. Attackers
have learned the power of collaboration and knowledge-
sharing, as proven by multiple cases wherein similar attack code or
patterns (albeit at different scales) have been used to
target individuals, small-medium businesses or large corporations alike.

The security community has always benefited from knowledge-sharing to
work together in developing sturdy solutions. Can a similar
approach be applied to define collaboration-based security technologies
which can prove to be more resistive against co-ordinated
attacks? This workshop on Collaborative Security Technologies (CoSec),
aims to discuss whether an approach based on the ‘United
we stand, but divided we fall’ can be applied to security technologies
as well. This workshop is a first of its kind, focusing on
discussion of how a given security concept can be exponentially more
useful when used in a collaborative way across a given set
of nodes, rather than working in a stand-alone mode. Some of the
technical areas wherein we believe the collaborative nature of
security technologies can be applicable are as follows.

- Collaborative defence against DDoS attacks
- Collaborative approaches against web-based attack (phishing etc)
detection and protection
- Social networking-based collaboration for malware detection and
quarantining
- Collaborative Policies definition and enforcement across
administrative boundaries
- Collaborative responsibility for Privacy enforcement of multi-domain
information
- Collaborative forensics
- Collaboration within Govt. and Public Safety organizations against
national security concerns
- Collaborative or Distributed versions of well-known security protocols
- Multi-domain or Multi-technology-based collaboration for generating an
end-to-end views of a global or large-scale attack patterns and their
mitigation
- Augmentation methods for review of Security logs and information from
multiple sources

For more information please visit the conference web pages at
http://www.imsaa.org/index.html

Paper Submission Guidelines and Deadlines

The workshop welcomes papers in the standard double-column, IEEE format,
but in 10 pt font, and no longer than
6 pages (including all figures and references).

Last Date for Paper Submission: 10th September 2009
Paper Acceptance Notification: 5th October 2009
Last Date for Camera Ready: 15th October 2009

Workshop Organizers

Raj Muttukrishnan, City University, London.
Subir Saha, Mobivation.

Publicity Chair: Mario Kolberg, University of Stirling, UK

-- 
Academic Excellence at the Heart of Scotland.
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland, 
 number SC 011159.