Subject: [p2prg] Release announcement: SpoVNet Overlay Software

From: Oliver Waldhorst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 15:32:15 +0200

(Apologies if you receive multiple copies)

Dear Colleagues,

the "Spontaneous Virtual Networks" (SpoVNet) project is proud to release 
the first complete open source implementation of the SpoVNet 
architecture for spontaneous and flexible creation of overlay-based 
services and applications. Details on the architecture and the SpoVNet 
project can be found in [1]. SpoVNet is funded by the National 
Foundation of the State Baden-Württemberg, Germany (Baden-Württemberg 
Stiftung gGmbH).

The SpoVNet software provides a convenient toolbox for the development 
of overlay-based services and applications across heterogeneous 
networks. It comprises base software, three examples for overlay-based 
services, and a game application for demonstration purposes. 
Specifically, this initial software release includes

- the award-winning SpoVNet-base "ariba" (successfully demonstrated at 
ACM SIGCOMM 2009 [2] and IEEE INFOCOM 2010 [3]),
- the multicast service "MCPO" (also part of [2], [3]),
- the event notification service "EONSON" [4], [5],
- the event correlation service "Cordies" [6],
- and the multiplayer game "PlanetPI4" [7].

Software packages and documentation are available from

   http://www.spovnet.de/download.

Feedback from the community is highly appreciated.

Please report experiences, wishes, and problems to [email-masked].

Best regards,
Oliver Waldhorst
(on behalf of the SpoVNet team)

*** References ***

[1] O. Waldhorst, C. Blankenhorn, D. Haage, R. Holz, G. Koch, B. 
Koldehofe, F. Lampi, C. Mayer, and S. Mies, “Spontaneous Virtual 
Networks: On the Road towards the Internet’s Next Generation,” it - 
Information Technology (Special Issue on Next Generation Internet), vol. 
50, no. 6, pp. 367–375, 2008. 
http://www.atypon-link.com/OLD/doi/pdf/10.1524/itit.2008.0508

[2] C. Hübsch, C. P. Mayer, S. Mies, R. Bless, O. P. Waldhorst, and u M. 
Zitterbart, “Reconnecting the Internet with ariba - Self-Organizing 
Provisioning of End-to-End Connectivity in Heterogeneous Networks,” ACM 
SIGCOMM CCR, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 131–132, 2010. 
http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1672308.1672334

[3] C. Hübsch, C. Mayer, S. Mies, R. Bless, O. Waldhorst, and M. 
Zitterbart, u “Demo Abstract: Using Legacy Applications in Future 
Heterogeneous Networks with ariba,” in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, San Diego, 
CA, USA, 2010. http://www.ieee-infocom.com/2010/demos.html

[4] M. A. Tariq, B. Koldehofe, A. Altaweel, and K. Rothermel,
Providing Basic Security Mechanisms in Broker-less Publish/Subscribe 
Systems, Proc. 4th ACM Int. Conference on Distributed Event-Based 
Systems (DEBS), Cambridge, UK, 2010. (to appear)

[5] A. Tariq, B. Koldehofe, G. Koch, and K. Rothermel, Providing 
Probabilistic Latency Bounds for Dynamic Publish/Subscribe Systems,
Proc. Kommunikation in Verteilten Systemen (KiVS), Kassel, Germany, 
2009. http://www.springerlink.com/content/x36578745jv7wr88/

[6] G. Koch, B. Koldehofe, and K. Rothermel, Cordies: Expressive Event 
Correlation in Distributed Systems, Proc. 4th ACM Int. Con. on 
Distributed Event-Based Systems (DEBS), Cambridge, UK, 2010. (to appear)

[7] T. Triebel, B. Guthier, R. Sueselbeck, G. Schiele, and W. 
Effelsberg, Peer-to-peer Infrastructures for Games, Proc. 18th Int. 
Workshop on
Network and Operating Systems Support for Digital Audio and Video 
(NOSSDAV), Braunschweig, Germany, 2008. 
http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1496046.1496079

-- 
Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
Institut für Telematik, Young Investigator Group CoMoGriP

Dr. Oliver Waldhorst
Nachwuchsgruppenleiter

Zirkel 2, Geb. 20.20, Raum 353
76131 Karlsruhe

Telefon: +49 721 608-6403
Fax: +49 721 608-6789
Email: [email-masked]
http://tm.kit.edu/itm/

KIT - Universität des Landes Baden-Württemberg und nationales 
Großforschungszentrum in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft