Subject: [p2p-sip] Requirements Explosion

From: royrr at us.saic.com (Roy, Radhika R.)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:14:15 -0500

Keith:
 
I would support this approach as a part of p2p-SIP protocol. In fact, if we
follow this, we can reuse all the features of SIP that are already p2p. In
this case, we need NOT to build a new p2p protocol from the scratch to solve
all the problems that we are discussing.
 
That is why, I asked the pointed question to Kundan, and we got his answer
that is NOT along the line of the above approach.
 
Best regards,
Radhika

  _____  

From: p2p-sip-bounces at cs.columbia.edu on behalf of Drage, Keith (Keith)
Sent: Fri 1/13/2006 10:19 AM
To: p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: [p2p-sip] Requirements Explosion

Could I suggest then that part of the draft charter we write for the BOF
contains something along the lines of: 

(having of course scoped the mechanism first) 

The mechanism will provide a means of sending a SIP method (possibly
unknown) containing SIP headers (possibly unknown) and message bodies, to a
SIP-URI or other URI within a Request-URI parameter.

This means we have a goal of supporting a large number of existing SIP
mechanisms that already operate end to end, and which will continue to do
so.

regards 

Keith

---

From: kns10 at cs.columbia.edu (Kundan Singh)
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:17:11 -0500

> that is NOT along the line of the above approach.

Not entirely.

There is a difference between 'generic protocol for the interface 
between application and P2P network' and 'generic P2P protocol as a 
replacement of Chord, Kademlia, Pastry, etc.' I suggested to work on the 
former before defining P2P-SIP. A well-defined protocol for the 
interface is necessary, in my opinion, to avoid having to deal with a 
number of different existing P2P networks when we want to provide 
P2P-SIP independent of a particular P2P network. This way, an existing 
P2P network needs to only provide the particular interface to be 
suitable for use in P2P-SIP. A well defined interface can then be made 
specific in the context of SIP lookup and presence for P2P-SIP. In fact 
DHT interfaces (get/put and join/lookup) already exist in the context of 
specific implementations such as OpenDHT, Chord. So we just need to 
survey those and generalize them to be suitable for our application.