Subject: [p2p-sip] Public P2P SIP service: Damaka.com

From: matthewsp at avaya.com (Matthews, Philip (Philip))
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:51:18 -0500

Benny Prijono wrote:
> draft-bryan-sipping-p2p-01.txt talks about several ways to bootstrap 
> the client:
> 
> 1. to contact list of "well known" supernodes.
> 2. to contact cached address of my buddies, if I already have buddies.
> 3. or to "flood" (multicast, or whatever).
> 

These three techniques all work pretty well in large P2P SIP networks
(many thousands of peers). Thus Skype and most of the large file-sharing
P2P networks
rely on these techniques.

But they do not work as well in smaller P2P SIP networks. Consider, for
example,
the "Ad-Hoc and Ephemeral Group" use-case described in the use-case
draft. 
In this use-case:
- There are no "well known" supernodes since the network was only
recently created.
- When you join for the first time, you have no buddy list.
  Or, if it has been a while since you last were on the network, your
buddies may all
  have different IP addresses (for DHCP and/or NAT reasons).
- If the nodes are located on different subnets, multicast may not work.

In this case, you must either learn an IP address (and port, if NATs are
involved)
of another peer through out-of-band techniques ("Hey Joe, what's your IP
address?")
or use a rendevous server.

- Philip

---

From: lists at bulukucing.org (Benny Prijono)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:32:06 +0000

[changed the subject]

Philip,

What you said below are all valid problems that are being solved by 
our dear SIP P2P designers (i.e. not me, hehe..). I'm just saying from 
what I read in drafts/articles.

But I just came up with an idea.

Instead of designing SIP P2P *protocol*, why don't we design a SIP P2P 
*universe*. Just like we have one universe for IP network (the 
Internet), we will have *one* SIP P2P network for the whole universe. 
Only one.

All service providers shares the same network infrastructure (i.e. 
nodes, supernodes). They will just have different domain/realm. So are 
"Ad-Hoc and Ephemeral Groups", they're just a temporary domain/realm.

I believe that would solve our little bootstrapping problems. :)

Does this make sense? Any study been done in this area?

-benny