Subject: [p2p-sip] P2P-SIP-1.0

From: dbarrett at quinthar.com (David Barrett)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:17:33 -0800

So decision #1 is whether to do something now, or go home and reconvene in
12 months.  I vote we do something now.

Decision #2 is whether we're going to expand SIP to support some list of P2P
features, or build a separate P2P system that SIP can leverage.  I think the
latter stands a higher chance of success.

Decision #3 is what comprises this list.  Decentralized SIP proxy is
certainly in.  I vote we do nothing more than that which is required to
create an overlay network with bindings for use as a decentralized SIP
proxy.

Decision #4 is whether to use a specific algorithm (Chord, Kademlia, etc),
or more abstract representation (ala overlayweaver) for the distributed SIP
proxy.  I vote we list the axes of comparison, rate each option, and then
pick one and run with it.

Thus my proposal is we evaluate DHT options, build a generalized DHT layer,
establish clear bindings whereby SIP clients can use this DHT as a proxy,
and then iterate.  This is the P2P-SIP-1.0 plan.  This presumes there will
be a 2.0 immediately following it, and a 3.0 immediately following that.  

What is your proposal?

-david