Subject: [p2p-sip] p2p-sip Digest, Vol 8, Issue 19

From: huang-ming.pan at comcast.net (Peter Pan)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:32:06 -0800

Hi,

A few stupid questions came to me these days.

Q1: Will a open-source based p2p-sip network be secure?

Most open-source p2p file sharing network seem not secure. Sometimes files
downloaded for days are found to be incomplete or contain contents not as
titled. Anyone can share malicious craps.

Skype says itself as secure. It is proprietary and close-source. Nobody can
join the network without Skype assistance.

Q2: When networks are implemented on p2p-sip standards but individually
operated and not open source, are they better (to end users) than those in
proprietary protocols?

As for most well-known commercial voip networks nowaday, serious hackers
should easily know how to bombard (transaction or call-stateful) server
infrastructure of their networks where sip msgs seem not encrypted.

If one of primary purposes of p2p-sip standardization is to formalize the
protocols of one single p2p sip "universe' where all nodes are based on
p2p-sip standards and made from an open-source reference implementation so
that anyone can contribute node products to the universe, will it be secure
if supernodes or STUN/TURN servers can be contributed irresponsibly or
maliciously?

If a p2p-sip universe is never in the plan and eventually all service
providers will operate their own networks (or certificate authorities), is a
close-source proprietary approach like Skype's (coupled with protocol
bridges among networks if interoperability is necessary) be faster to
achieve than first spending years on p2p-sip standardization and finally
find derived networks to be insecure (w/ a known security association) or
not fully interoperable (w/ with different overlays and private security
schemes)?

Don't hit me...I'm on your side.

Peter

----- Original Message -----
From: <p2p-sip-request at cs.columbia.edu>
To: <p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 9:00 AM
Subject: p2p-sip Digest, Vol 8, Issue 19

> Send p2p-sip mailing list submissions to
> p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/cucslists/listinfo/p2p-sip
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> p2p-sip-request at cs.columbia.edu
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> p2p-sip-owner at cs.columbia.edu
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of p2p-sip digest..."
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Review of draft-bryan-sipping-p2p-02 (Bruce Lowekamp)
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

> _______________________________________________
> p2p-sip mailing list
> p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
> https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/cucslists/listinfo/p2p-sip
>