Subject: [p2p-sip] SIP, ICE, and an Overlay Network

From: RADHIKA.R.ROY at saic.com (Roy, Radhika R.)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:18:49 -0500

Juha:
 
Is there any documentation is available on "OPENSER" for FW/NAT crossing as
it is being discussed in this extensively?
 
Best regards,
Radhika

  _____  

From: p2p-sip-bounces at cs.columbia.edu on behalf of Juha Heinanen
Sent: Thu 3/16/2006 6:51 AM
To: Jonathan Rosenberg
Cc: 'P2P-SIP'
Subject: Re: [p2p-sip] SIP, ICE, and an Overlay Network

jonathan,

i read the outbound draft (not all glory details yet) and i was pleased
with it.  the main reason being that in addition to NAT traversal (which
openser can handle already now satisfactorily without any new
standardization), it also tackles the redundancy problem.

there is one thing though that i can't accept:

   UAs are configured with one or more SIP URIs representing the default
   outbound-proxy-set.  The specification assumes the set is determined
   via configuration but future specifications may define other
   mechanisms such as using DNS to discover this set.

we MUST have a DNS based way for the UAs to figure out the default
outbound proxy set BEFORE this spec is published as an RFC.  if not
done, there is yet another thing to be configured in the UA, which is
exactly what Skype lovers hate in SIP.

-- juha
_______________________________________________

---

From: ag at ag-projects.com (Adrian Georgescu)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:43:47 -0800

Radhika, see http://www.sipcenter.com/goto/AG-SIP-NAT

Regards
Adrian

On Mar 16, 2006, at 9:18 AM, Roy, Radhika R. wrote:

> p2p-sip mailing list
> p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
> https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/cucslists/listinfo/p2p-sip

---

From: jh at tutpro.com (Juha Heinanen)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:05:23 +0200

> it is being discussed in this extensively?

all functions that you need to implement NAT traversal in the proxy are
documentation at www.openser.org (see nathelper, mediaproxy, registrar,
and usrloc modules).  in addition you need to install an RTP proxy for
which there are two to choose from.

-- juha