Subject: [p2p-sip] Use cases attributes

From: bryan at ethernot.org (David A. Bryan)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:57:46 -0700

Since we having a use cases discussion here, it seemed like a good
time to go ahead and post this work. Spencer Dawkins has been working
on an attributes spreadsheet/table about the use cases we have in the
current use cases draft (draft-bryan-sipping-p2p-usecases-00),
outlining some key attributes for each of them:

How many users would this use involve (users, not peers)?
Are all the nodes in one administrative domain?
Does this use case appear to be possible in a pure P2P sense, or
appear to possibly require a hybrid approach?
Would centralized management be desirable? (this means centralized
access to, not necessarily centralized server or otherwise based
storage of the data)
Do users need to be authenticated?
Is carrier class robustness required?
Will the system interact with traditional client server SIP?
Will DNS be available?

Spencer put a lot of work into this, with an eye toward helping people
see what the different use cases mean in terms of requirements (and
possibly helping us see if some need to be split or merged). I've
offered to put it up on P2PSIP.org so we can discuss this, and since
we are talking a good bit about use cases, here it is:

http://www.p2psip.org/P2PUseCases.php

Thanks to Spencer for putting this together. Along with the new use
cases Seaward has in mind, hopefully this can get some discussion
generated.

One other note, it might be useful for us to evaluate which of the
cases proposed here are addressable with the set of things we
discussed tackling at the ad-hoc. I think many (most?) still are, but
it would be interesting to see if others agree.

David

---

From: spencer at mcsr-labs.org (Spencer Dawkins)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:05:37 -0500

Hi, David,

Thanks for putting the spreadsheet on p2psip.org.

I would like to keep this spreadsheet in sync with the drafts, of course, so 
the contents will change as people discuss use cases.

I should add that this spreadsheet is the product of discussions with a 
number of people, including Seaward, so please view me as the editor, not as 
the author.

As always for editors, comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Spencer

> outlining some key attributes for each of them:

...

> Thanks to Spencer for putting this together.

...

---

From: enrico.marocco at telecomitalia.it (Enrico Marocco)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:40:58 +0200

> As always for editors, comments are welcome.

First of all, thank you for the great work!

Then, a couple of comments on the "Interaction with CS-SIP" column, 
which is the one I care more about ;-)  I expected to see a "when 
available" instead of a cold "no" at least in the following rows:
+ Impeded Access
+ Ad-Hoc and Ephemeral Groups
+ Extending the Reach of Mobile Devices

In such use cases, when some peer in the overlay shares the resources 
for relaying SIP and media traffic to and from the Internet, the overlay 
itself should act exactly as a conventional SIP network, IMHO.

--
Enrico
--------------------------------------------------------------------

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons above and may contain confidential information. If you have received the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by replying to webmaster at telecomitalia.it.

        Thank you

                                        www.telecomitalia.it

--------------------------------------------------------------------