Subject: [p2p-sip] P2P-SIP BOF at IETF 67

From: fluffy at cisco.com (Cullen Jennings)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 21:21:33 -0700

Folks,

As we discussed in Montreal, the next step for this work is to have a  
formal BOF at IETF 67 in San Diego.

To that end, I've decided to ask Brian Rosen to chair the BOF. This  
shouldn't be taken as a negative reflection on the people who've  
served as chairs of previous BOFs and ad hocs. Rather, because we're  
now at the point to consider chartering and this work is somewhat  
controversial, I consider it important to bring in a neutral,  
experienced, outsider to moderate the discussion. This also shouldn't  
be taken to mean that Brian will necessarily be the WG chair. We'll  
address that issue once we have a charter ready for approval.

I also wanted to say a few words about what I was hoping for in terms  
of preparation for the BOF. The reading list should include (at  
least) the following two items:

1. An I-D describing terminology and architecture.
2. A draft charter.

draft-willis-p2psip-concepts-00 seems like a good start on item #1.   
For item #2, I think it would be appropriate to start with a clean  
slate and write a fresh charter based on draft-willis-p2psip- 
concepts-00 and the decisions reached at the Montreal ad hoc. To  
recap, these were:

1. Standardize protocol(s) for an overlay client service and an  
overlay server service.
2. Topologies with NATs are in scope. Locating media relays is also  
in scope. The WG should re-use existing IETF NAT traversal technology.
3. The scope of the work should be limited to name lookups rather  
than searching.
4. Designing anonymization should not be an explicit initial  
milestone but the design of the protocol should be done in such a way  
that it does not preclude anonymization.

In addition, the charter should probably explicitly state that   
multicast and dyndns-based approaches are out of scope for this effort.

I'm very excited about this work and look forward to a successful BOF  
in San Diego.

Cullen

---

From: eunsoo at research.panasonic.com (Eunsoo Shim)
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 10:53:08 -0400

This is a great news.
Can't wait for the BOF.

> that it does not preclude anonymization.
This is an excellent recap of the decisions.

> multicast and dyndns-based approaches are out of scope for this effort.
Agreed.

> I'm very excited about this work and look forward to a successful BOF  
Thanks.

Eunsoo

> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> p2p-sip mailing list
> p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
> https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/cucslists/listinfo/p2p-sip