Subject: RE: [P2PSIP] Routing mode in P2PSIP

From: Song Yongchao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:51:00 +0800

> > > For the record, there's a persistent myth that NAT classification is
> > > difficult and unreliable.  It's not.
> >
> > Luckily, I didn't say any such thing.
> 
> Ah, oops -- I misinterpreted your text.  I'm glad we agree NAT
> classification is both possible and useful given a reliable set of STUN
> servers.  

I agree with that. There is no doubt here.

> As for how to get the "reliable set of STUN servers" in the first place,
I'm
> assuming that when you contact the bootstrap service, it gives you a list
of
> STUN servers.  To start, the list would be populated by a "bootstrap STUN
> service" (a small set of globally hosted STUN servers).  But as nodes are
> added to the network, those who are not firewalled add themselves to the
> list for future nodes to use.

The selection of STUN servers is a problem that we must concern about in P2P
overlay. Because a node may be behind multiple NATs, with an unlucky STUN
server selection(also NATed), it may be of no use to setup a direct
connection between two NATed peers. What I suggest, is to make powerful
peers or servers with "Public" address to provide STUN service. It must be
very useful for collecting effective candidates to setup direct connections,
and at the same time, they can perform the role of message RELAY in the
overlay.

Best Regards!
Song Yongchao

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip