Subject: [P2PSIP] Service discovery in P2PSIP

From: JiangXingFeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:47:22 +0800

Hi, all:

In the draft-ietf-p2psip-concepts-00, there is a definition for the P2PSIP
Service. As described in this definition, P2PSIP needs a service locator
function, here, which I call service discovery function. 

I've got an idea about how to get service peers which provide one specific
service and are distributed through the overlay. Now I introduce the idea
here briefly and I prepare two slides to give more detail. 

We try to make full use of the chance when a request sent by the source peer
is forward by several intermediate peers through the overlay. So if the
source peer wants to get peers of a specific service, it could indicates its
willing in the request and ask for the intermediate peers and the
destination peer to help it collect the information. And later the
information will be return to the source peer in the response. 

But how do the intermediate peer and the destination peer knows which peers
could provide which type of service. IMO, it could rely on the overlay
maintenance mechanism inherent in DHT algorithms. It may be done like this.
If the peers have some additional service capability, it may encode it in
its information so that other peers who choose it as P2PSIP neighbors could
learn the information. While a peer receive a request for discovering a
peer, it could check its locally stored information about its neighbors and
if there are some matched peers, it could put it in the message. 

Any comments are appreciated. 

--
Jiang XingFeng

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip