Subject: [P2PSIP] Lightweight SIP Toolkit

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:40:08 -0800

We have published version 02 of the I-D "Lightweight SIP Toolkit for
Peer-to-Peer and Basic Client-Server Systems" for discussion on the
list.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sinnreich-sip-tools-02.txt  

This memo discusses the usage scenario of SIP where only the rendezvous
and session setup properties of SIP are used and all the applications
reside in the endpoints.  This is an alternative to the current usage of
SIP where the services reside in the network and are supported by
various application servers.  Such an approach is applicable on the
Internet for P2P SIP and also to client-server SIP. 
PSTN style, ISDN and PBX-like services are not supported.

Such an approach reduces the number of required SIP related standards as
of early 2008 from roughly 100 to about 11.  

Successful multimedia IP communications also include the relevant
standards proposals for NAT traversal, some of which are not directly
related to SIP and also several standards for security. These standards
are included in the simple usage scenario for SIP as well.

Your comments would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Henry Sinnreich

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip