Subject: [P2PSIP] Fwd: P2P Infrastructure Workshop Announcement, May 28, 2008

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 07:24:30 -0700

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "IESG Secretary" <[email-masked]>
> Date: April 21, 2008 5:00:01 AM PDT
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: P2P Infrastructure Workshop Announcement, May 28, 2008
>
> The Real-time Applications & Infrastructure (RAI) Area Directors, Jon
> Peterson and Cullen Jennings, would like to announce an IETF  
> workshop on
> P2P Infrastructure to be held on May 28, 2008 at 50 Vassar St, Room
> 34-101 on the MIT campus in Cambridge, MA USA.
>
> Several large ISPs have encountered issues with P2P traffic. The
> transfer of static, delay-tolerant data between nodes on the  
> Internet is
> a well-understood problem, but traditional management of fairness at  
> the
> transport level has largely been circumvented by applications designed
> to achieve the best end-user transfer rates. This results, at peak
> times, in networks running near absolute capacity, and in which all
> traffic incurs delays; the applications that bear the brunt of this
> additional latency are real-time applications like VoIP and Internet
> gaming. This has led to need for further discussion of the proper
> approaches to P2P application development, and infrastructure  
> management
> in environments where P2P is commonly used. This workshop intends to
> discover where additional IETF standards work is needed, or existing
> work might be reapplied, to alleviate these difficulties. In  
> particular,
> the workshop will draw on the experiences of Comcast and BitTorrent,
> representatives of both of whom will present their perspectives on the
> problem space.
>
> Example solution discussions might include, but are not limited to:
> deployment of application servers or caches to reduce network load;  
> new
> rendez-vous mechanisms to optimize P2P network topology; enabling
> applications to signal their bandwidth needs (and priority or lack
> thereof) to networks; enabling networks to signal bandwidth  
> constraints
> to elastic and inelastic applications; and, new approaches to fairness
> that are coupled with incentives for applications. Contributions from
> subject matter experts in the problem and solution space are
> welcome. The primary outcome should be a direction for one or more  
> IETF
> efforts exploring the best practices for addressing these challenges.
>
> The organizers would like to stress that this is a technical workshop
> exploring engineering issues and practices. The public policy
> implications of P2P applications are not in the scope of this  
> workshop.
>
> Position papers are requested from all attendees by May 9. Contact the
> RAI ADs for a waiver if it is inappropriate for you to submit a  
> position
> paper. These should constitute one to five pages on the problem or
> solution space of P2P architectures, with a particular emphasis on  
> areas
> that the IETF should address or revisit. Position papers will be made
> publicly available. On the basis of the position papers, a number of
> invited speakers will be asked to present at the workshop. A final
> agenda with timeslots will be published by May 16th. Potential  
> attendees
> for whom it is not appropriate to supply a position paper may contact
> the RAI ADs for a waiver.
>
> Evaluation of the position papers will be performed with the  
> assistance
> of a program committee consisting of the RAI ADs, Lars Eggert  
> (Transport
> AD), Danny Weitzner (MIT), John Morris (CDT), and Dave Clark (MIT).
>
> Further information about position paper submission procedures are
> forthcoming. Interested parties are advised to subscribe to the
> [email-masked] mailing list for discussion and announcements related to
> the workshop. Additional information will be available at
> http://www3.tools.ietf.org/area/rai/trac/wiki/ 
> PeerToPeerInfrastructure.
>
>

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: Song Haibin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:33:44 +0800

I don't find any mail archives to P2PI mailing list. Is it a new created
one?

BTW: My name changed from Song Yongchao to Song Haibin. Greetings to every
guy with my new name.

Best Regards,
Song Haibin
Email: [email-masked]

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Cullen Jennings
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 10:25 PM
To: P2PSIP WG
Subject: [P2PSIP] Fwd: P2P Infrastructure Workshop Announcement, May 28,
2008

Begin forwarded message:

Cc: <[email-masked]>

The Real-time Applications & Infrastructure (RAI) Area Directors, Jon
Peterson and Cullen Jennings, would like to announce an IETF workshop on
P2P Infrastructure to be held on May 28, 2008 at 50 Vassar St, Room
34-101 on the MIT campus in Cambridge, MA USA.

Several large ISPs have encountered issues with P2P traffic. The
transfer of static, delay-tolerant data between nodes on the Internet is
a well-understood problem, but traditional management of fairness at the
transport level has largely been circumvented by applications designed
to achieve the best end-user transfer rates. This results, at peak
times, in networks running near absolute capacity, and in which all
traffic incurs delays; the applications that bear the brunt of this
additional latency are real-time applications like VoIP and Internet
gaming. This has led to need for further discussion of the proper
approaches to P2P application development, and infrastructure management
in environments where P2P is commonly used. This workshop intends to
discover where additional IETF standards work is needed, or existing
work might be reapplied, to alleviate these difficulties. In particular,
the workshop will draw on the experiences of Comcast and BitTorrent,
representatives of both of whom will present their perspectives on the
problem space.

Example solution discussions might include, but are not limited to:
deployment of application servers or caches to reduce network load; new
rendez-vous mechanisms to optimize P2P network topology; enabling
applications to signal their bandwidth needs (and priority or lack
thereof) to networks; enabling networks to signal bandwidth constraints
to elastic and inelastic applications; and, new approaches to fairness
that are coupled with incentives for applications. Contributions from
subject matter experts in the problem and solution space are
welcome. The primary outcome should be a direction for one or more IETF
efforts exploring the best practices for addressing these challenges.

The organizers would like to stress that this is a technical workshop
exploring engineering issues and practices. The public policy
implications of P2P applications are not in the scope of this workshop.

Position papers are requested from all attendees by May 9. Contact the
RAI ADs for a waiver if it is inappropriate for you to submit a position
paper. These should constitute one to five pages on the problem or
solution space of P2P architectures, with a particular emphasis on areas
that the IETF should address or revisit. Position papers will be made
publicly available. On the basis of the position papers, a number of
invited speakers will be asked to present at the workshop. A final
agenda with timeslots will be published by May 16th. Potential attendees
for whom it is not appropriate to supply a position paper may contact
the RAI ADs for a waiver.

Evaluation of the position papers will be performed with the assistance
of a program committee consisting of the RAI ADs, Lars Eggert (Transport
AD), Danny Weitzner (MIT), John Morris (CDT), and Dave Clark (MIT).

http://www3.tools.ietf.org/area/rai/trac/wiki/PeerToPeerInfrastructure.

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:39:25 -0400

Hmm - The list just got created but it should have an archive. I will   
look into that. Thanks.

On Apr 21, 2008, at 11:33 PM, Song Haibin wrote:

> I don’t find any mail archives to P2PI mailing list. Is it a new  
> created one?
>
>
> BTW: My name changed from Song Yongchao to Song Haibin. Greetings to  
> every guy with my new name.
> Best Regards,
> Song Haibin
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On  
> Behalf Of Cullen Jennings
> Subject: [P2PSIP] Fwd: P2P Infrastructure Workshop Announcement, May  
> 28, 2008
>
>
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>

---

From: jiangxingfeng 36340 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:38:44 -0400

Hi, Spencer:

How are you recently? You must notice the forwarded mail about a Workshop of P2P Infrastructure to be held on May 28th. Do you have a plan to attend the meeting? I think it is a important meeting in P2P area. It is great if you will be there. 

Regards

JiangXingFeng

---

From: Heinrich Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:49:45 -0500

> See also the other meeting for balance:
> 
> http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/FCC-Net-Neutrality-Meeting-at-Stanford-Toda
> y-93665
> 
> Henry
> 
> 
>