Subject: [P2PSIP] Privacy protection in P2PSIP

From: "xianghan.zheng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 18:26:35 +0800

Hello,
I am going to do some research in the P2PSIP privacy part, my current
thought is to propose the B2BUA, which is also the p2psip peer between
the source peer and the destination peer. B2BUA peers are the static
peers distributed in the overlay and they are secure enough and know
each others.

The p2psip message goes to the B2BUA near the source, and then to the
other B2BUA that is nearest with the destination. Does somebody have
some comment on this solution. Or any other better thinking? Thank you.

Best Regards,
Xianghan Zheng

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 10:57:56 -0500

> some comment on this solution. Or any other better thinking? Thank you.

I see two problems with this approach:

1. B2BUAs contradict the Internet transparency idea at the application
level. See ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4924.txt

2. B2BUA pose problems for SIP. See
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-sbc-fun
cs-05.txt 

Internet transparency is IMO one of the key reasons for the success of the
Internet. B2BUA may be a local optimization, but they destroy most of the
advantages of the Internet. Even inside one operator domain, B2BUA add
complexity that may prove not to be manageable or the system may not to be
scalable.

This is a personal opinion and most probably not shared by the B2BUA folks
:-)

Henry