Subject: [P2PSIP] ID generation and P2P layer function questions

From: Xianghan Zheng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 18:36:44 +0200

Hi All,

I get questions when i quick review RELOAD v8 proposals:

(1) RELOAD mention that central enrollment server is used for the generation of Node-ID (Section 3.5.2), However, it looks not mention how it is calculated. By hashing the SIP URI? Or random assignment?

(2) Can i understand RELOAD proposal is 95% P2P functions and with a little bit 5% SIP usage, since most of the functions originally designed in SIP protocol have been migrated into P2P layer.

Regards,
Xianghan

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 19:40:21 +0300

2010/7/6 Xianghan Zheng <[email-masked]>:
> (1) RELOAD mention that central enrollment server is used for the generation
> of Node-ID (Section 3.5.2), However, it looks not mention how it
> is calculated. By hashing the SIP URI? Or random assignment?

" One or more Node-IDs which MUST be cryptographically random
      [RFC4086].  Each MUST be chosen by the enrollment server in such a
      way that they are unpredictable to the requesting user.  Each is
      placed in the subjectAltName using the uniformResourceIdentifier
      type and MUST contain RELOAD URIs as described in Section 13.13
      and MUST contain a Destination list with a single entry of type
      "node_id"."

> (2) Can i understand RELOAD proposal is 95% P2P functions and with a little
> bit 5% SIP usage, since most of the functions originally designed in SIP
> protocol have been migrated into P2P layer.

I don't really know what that means.

RELOAD is about arranging for a channel to teh peer over which SIP can then
flow. It doesn't seem to me that that subsumes most of SIP but YMMV.

-Ekr

---

From: Andy Savage <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:45:11 +0800

Where can I find more information on the RELOAD proposal?

Sorry for my ignorance but is this the main proposed way for P2P SIP or is
it part of many proposals?

I'm a bit lost as to where things are at (although I joined the list to
learn a bit more).

I've found lots of historical information on the P2P SIP idea but just not
sure where it's at now (July 2010).

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> P2PSIP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip
>

---

From: Xianghan Zheng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 13:13:50 +0200

That means, the source ([email-masked]), who wants to send INVITE to destination ([email-masked]), needs to first ask enrollment server "what is the ID of the destination?", and then sends out the request to the overlay?"

Yes, i agree. However, what i means is: SIP message in the upper layer looks useless in the connection (It might be easier for interworking or adopt with SIP UA.)  For example, SIP protocol have a Via header, recording the intermediate routes. In RELOAD solution, this "via" header would be empty. And all the functions are migrated into the P2P layer.   

Sorry if i understand wrong. 

Regards,
Xianghan 
________________________________________
发件人: Eric Rescorla [[email-masked]]
发送时间: 2010年7月6日 18:40
收件人: Xianghan Zheng
抄送: [email-masked]
主题: Re: [P2PSIP] ID generation and P2P layer function questions

-Ekr

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 21:15:53 -0700

2010/7/8 Xianghan Zheng <[email-masked]>

> That means, the source ([email-masked]), who wants to send INVITE to
> destination ([email-masked]), needs to first ask enrollment server "what
> is the ID of the destination?", and then sends out the request to the
> overlay?"

No. You publish your mapping in the overlay.

> Yes, i agree. However, what i means is: SIP message in the upper layer
> looks useless in the connection (It might be easier for interworking or
> adopt with SIP UA.)  For example, SIP protocol have a Via header, recording
> the intermediate routes. In RELOAD solution, this "via" header would be
> empty. And all the functions are migrated into the P2P layer.
>

There's a lot more to SIP than routing.

-Ekr