Subject: RE: Solutions ...

From: George Tsirtsis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:43:39 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Nordmark [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 1:50 PM
To: George Tsirtsis
Cc: 'Reinaldo Penno'; Erik Nordmark; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Solutions ...

> All,
> 
> Erik will correct me if I wrong but I do not think he talked about
> "de-authentication" but about "sensing that a node disconnected from the
> network".

I'm not a "sensing" kind of guy :-)
so I suspect I actually used a term like "detecting".

> I think network "sensing" of any type should be outside the scope of the
> PANA WG. In fact this is a much needed work that the IETF needs to take up
> at some point...and something tells me that it will happen soon and comes
> under the general area of "link layer triggers". And yes I know you can
> devise "liveness" protocols to do that at the IP layer but I really think
> PANA should not go there.

You mean that TCP should have never been define to have a FIN flag? :-)

GT> Maybe I do mean that, but I do not claim it to be in scope for PANA
:---)
GT> Seriously, maybe I was too negative here...someone said that periodic
re-authentication provides a way of detecting if someone is still there and
wants the service, which is fair enough and appropriate for PANA. More
accurate "detection" :-) may still need link layer triggers and that is
still out of scope IMO.

George

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:57:21 -0500

> accurate "detection" :-) may still need link layer triggers and that is

When a user wants to actively disconnect from the network by pusing 
"disconnect" button, no link layer trigger is needed.

> George

Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:58:55 +0100 (CET)

> accurate "detection" :-) may still need link layer triggers and that is

Ah - now I understand your point.

Yes, defining an interface between PANA and L2 to be able to detect 
disconnection is out of scope as far as I can tell.

  Erik