Subject: RE: reliability and congestion control

From: "Patil Basavaraj (NET/Dallas)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:26:58 -0600

>Yoshihiro,
>
>It is unfortunate that the charter seems to include *requirements*,
rather
>than just *scope* statements, since the first task is to produce a
>requirements document. 

The charter is quite detailed (and sometimes suggesting requirements
as well) in order to ensure that everyone is quite clear of the
protocol work being undertaken in this WG. If however you do believe
that some of the *suggested* requirements (in the charter) are
non-essential to PANA in your requirements I-D, please do feel free to
capture them as such. Congestion control for a protocol that is
limited to the host and the access network seems like an overkill.

>Congestion control is needed when you expect to have
>significant traffic. If all you do is sending a couple packets and you
are
>expecting a couple of packets back congestion control is not possible.
>Reliability can be handled with exponencial back-off timers and both
SNARD
>and EAPoverICMP can use those.
>
>Regards
>George

-Basavaraj

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:37:20 -0500

If underestimating the suggested requirements in the charter will not
result in affecting the performance of *end-to-end* data traffic 
on the access network, it would be okay.  For me, it does not look 
like an overkill yet, but I may be too conservative.

Yoshihiro Ohba