Subject: device ID types

From: "Alper E. YEGIN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:26:37 -0800

More thoughts on the device ID....

In most of the cases, a device ID could be the link-layer
address of the client's device. Since PaC, PAA, and EP are on 
the same link, this should work. Also, it'd inefficient to require
PaC to use PANA for each IP address it configures. PAA can grant
access to a link-layer address regardless of the configured
IP addresses.

When PANA is followed by IPsec for per-packet authentication,
an IP address should be used as the DI for the PaC. An IPsec
tunnel will be created between PaC and, say, router. The IP
addres would be the local tunnel end-point on the PaC. This time
PaC can configure other IP addresses inside this tunnel,
and the tunnel is seen as lower-layer. As long as these
addresses are used inside the tunnel, they don't have to be used
as DI with additional PANA exchanges.

Comments?

alper