Subject: PANA over TLS assumption.

From: "Mohan Parthasarathy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 11:36:58 -0800

In some private email discussion with Yoshihiro, I learnt that the
TLS session is assumed to be established always between PaC and PAA
directly.
This means PAA has a certificate which the client will be able to verify
(like a secure Web access).

This is slightly different from the model used in e.g. PEAP and others
where NAS forwards all the messages to the backend authentication server
and a TLS session is established between the PaC and AS (called as the
EAP
server in PEAP). This inturn is used to derive keys to protect the
channel
between the peer and the NAS. PEAP does allow the possiblity of doing
the Phase 1 
locally like PANA over TLS.

This brings to the question of which model we should assume. If we go
with
existing PANA over TLS, clients can't get access if clients can't verify
the
PAA's certificate. Perhaps, we should allow both models.

Comments ?

-mohan

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:42:54 -0500

> (like a secure Web access).

I have to mention that the assumption in the private discussion with
Mohan is specific to PANA over TLS and there can be other models, of
course.

Yoshihiro Ohba