Subject: RE: Issue 3: PANA SA

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:00:30 +0300

> I also updated key derivation expression based on the fact that the
> default MAC algorithm is HMAC-SHA1 which needs 160-bit key length.
> (Issue: do we need to support multiple MAC algorithms?)

The message format proposal has two types: HMAC-MD5 and HMAC-SHA1. I guess these things should have their own types so that new algorithms can be used in the future more easily. 

- Dan

> Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:20:25 -0700

> The message format proposal has two types: HMAC-MD5 and HMAC-SHA1. I guess these things should have their own types so that new algorithms can be used in the future more easily. 

When HMAC-MD5 is used, just using the first 128-bit of the 160-bit
derived key as the HMAC-MD key should work.

Another issue is how one of these algorithms is selected,
pre-configuration or negotiation?  If the latter is the case, we need
to specify how the negotiation is performed in PANA.

Thanks,
Yoshihiro Ohba