Subject: Session-Id in the first PANA-Auth-Request

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:45:29 +0300

Hi,

These questions are relevant to the state initialization in PAA.

When should PAA send the Session-Id?

In the first PANA-Auth-Request after PaC has answered with PANA-Start-Answer?

- Dan

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:55:18 -0700

Hi Dan,

I think PANA issue #7 is related, therefore I'm including both discussions
here.

> In the first PANA-Auth-Request after PaC has answered with PANA-Start-Answer?

I think this makes sense.

As for Issue #7: 

If PaC wants to resume an ongoing PANA session at another access link,
it can send the unexpired PANA session id in its PANA_start message. In the
absence of session id AVP in this message, PAA can assume this is a fresh
session and assign a new session ID in the first PANA-auth-req message.

If PAA receives a session id in the PANA-start message, and it is configured
to enable "fast re-auth", it should retrieve the PANA SA from the old PAA.
The mechanism required to retrieve the PANA SA is outside the scope of PANA
protocol. [Seamoby context transfer protocol should help].

If the PAA is not configured to enable fast re-auth, or cannot retrieve the
PANA SA, or the PANA SA has expired, PAA can send the PANA-start message
with a new session ID and let the PANA exchange take its usual course.

Otherwise, continue the PANA session with PANA-reauth exchange (rather than
PANA-auth which, in most of the time, means full authentication). Device ID
AVPs must be included to bind the new DIs to the PANA SA.

Comments?

Alper