Subject: FW: [issue21] Conformancy with RFC2284bis and draft-ietf-aaa-eap-02

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:54:59 +0300

New submission from Dan Forsberg <[email-masked]>:

In draft-ietf-aaa-eap-02.txt section 2.5 retransmission for EAP packets
is explained. Here NAS is doing the retransmissions (or vice versa). PANA
MUST be conformant with this draft and also RFC2284bis. This means that 
PAA is doing retransmissions for PANA-Auth-Request message also. In case 
of PANA-Reauth-Request the sender retransmits (PaC or PAA). PANA MUST
also honor Multi-Round-Time-Out AVP.

----
From draft-ietf-aaa-eap-02.txt:

   2.5 Retransmission

   As noted in [RFC2284bis], if an EAP packet is lost in transit between
   the authenticating peer and the NAS (or vice versa), the NAS will
   retransmit.

   It may be necessary to adjust retransmission strategies and
   authentication timeouts in certain cases.  For example, when a token
   card is used, additional time may be required to allow the user to
   find the card and enter the token.  Since the NAS will typically not
   have knowledge of the required parameters, these need to be provided
   by the Diameter server.

   If a Multi-Round-Time-Out AVP [BASE] is present in an
   Diameter-EAP-Answer message that also contains an EAP-Payload AVP,
   that value is used to set the EAP retransmission timer for that EAP
   Request, and that Request alone.

________________________________________________
PANA Issues <[email-masked]>
http://danforsberg.info:8080/pana-issues/issue21
________________________________________________

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:51:27 -0700

> PAA is doing retransmissions for PANA-Auth-Request message also.

That draft talks about the responsibilities of the NAS (network access
server). NAS would implement a collection of protocols, such as PANA (in the
form of a PAA module), Diameter (in the form of a Diameter client),
draft-ietf-aaa-eap as the glue, etc.  I think what you see in
draft-ietf-aaa-eap-02.txt is what the glue should be doing: retransmitting
EAP packets when needed.

Imo, as the lower-layer of EAP, PANA does not have to deal with this. It
just transmits EAP packets when it is given one.

Alper

> In case