Subject: Issue17: Error Handling

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 14:23:17 -0700

The current PANA draft has a place holder for PANA-error message, but none
of the details are included. We should decide when PANA-error should be
sent, what should the receiver of this message do, and eventually the exact
format of the message.

PANA-error message MAY be sent by either PaC or PAA when a badly formed PANA
message is received (see section 4.1.7). If the cause of this error message
was a request message (e.g., PANA-PAA-Discover or *-Request), then the
request MAY be transmitted immediately without waiting for its timer to go
off. If the cause of the error was a response message, the receiver of the
PANA-error SHOULD NOT resend the same response until it receives the next
request. 

If the error persists and the PANA session is not making any progress, PANA
peer SHOULD send a PANA-Terminate-Request to terminate the session.

Comments?

Alper

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 15:39:59 -0700

> PANA-error SHOULD NOT resend the same response until it receives the next

I have an additional text considering possible DoS attacks based on
sending bogus error messages:

  When an error message is sent unprotected with MAC AVP and the
  lower-layer is insecure, the error message is treated as an
  informational message.  The receiver of such an error message MUST
  NOT change its state unless the error persists and the PANA session
  is not making any progress.

> peer SHOULD send a PANA-Terminate-Request to terminate the session.

Yoshihiro Ohba