Subject: [Pana] PANA state machine review

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 04:23:25 -0400

Here is review of draft-ohba-pana-statemachine-00.txt by Julien Bournelle.
Thanks Julien for reviewing the draft!

Yoshihiro Ohba

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Julien Bournelle <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PANA state machine I-D: request for review
To: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
                                                                                
Hi yoshi,

 I have read the pana state machine draft and I didn't find any "fatal" error. I
must admit that it is not easy to review state machine :-)..however I
have some minor editorial comments..

* there are no references to PANA-Ping ?

* p. 11

"If the state machine already have a ..."

s/have/has

* p. 14   6.1.1 Delvering EAP Messages from PaC to EAP Peer

TxEAP() is only used to deliver EAP Request to EAP module ?

you do not deliver EAP-Success or Failure ?

* p. 15   6.1.4

How can PaC can set EAP_SUCCESS/EAP_FAILURE before receiving PBR/PFER ?

* p. 19

I don't understand why there are sometimes a RtxTimerStop() in the Exit
Action. Do we assume that a Timer is always triggered when we receive a
message ?

* p. 27  7.1.2

same comments as for p. 14, TxEAP() is lny used for EAP-Response ?

* p. 27 7.1.3

s/PaC/PAA

* p. 32
(PSA processing without mobility support)

s/exit_avp/exist_avp

(PSA processing with mobility support)

is is normal to have PBR.insert_avp("MAC") 2 times ?

* p. 35

s/FAIT_FAIL_PBA/WAIT_FAIL_PBA

* p.40

s/Resposne/Response

and that's all. 

Hope it helps,

---------
From: Julien Bournelle <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: PANA state machine I-D: request for review
To: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>

hi yoshi,

 one of my colleague (the guy who is working on pana implementation)
just mention me another error:

p.26

State: WAIT_PRAA

s/initiated by PAA/initiated by PaC

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 04:44:10 -0400

Julien and all,

Please see my comments in line.

> Thanks Julien for reviewing the draft!

Since draft-ohba-pana-statemachine-00.txt is written based on the pana-pana-04
and PANA-Ping was defined in pana-pana-05, there is no reference to PANA-Ping.
The next revision of the PANA state machine will have PANA-Ping handling.

> "If the state machine already have a ..."

OK.

> you do not deliver EAP-Success or Failure ?

You are right.  TxEAP() at PaC is also used for delivering EAP-Success
and EAP-Failure messages.  Thanks for pointing this out.

> How can PaC can set EAP_SUCCESS/EAP_FAILURE before receiving PBR/PFER ?

The EAP_SUCCESS and EAP_FAILURE event variables refer to eapSuccess
and eapFail variables of the EAP peer state machine, respectively.
The EAP peer state machine defines several situations where eapSuccess
and eapFail variables are set even before receiving an EAP-Success or
an EAP-Failure message.  One example is that if an EAP method supports
method-specific result indications, the EAP peer can determine whether
the EAP method has completed with success or failure before receiving
an EAP-Success or an EAP-Failure (that is carried in PBR/PFER).

> Action. Do we assume that a Timer is always triggered when we receive a

The RtxTimerStop() procecure is called in Exit Action when there is an
outstanding request in the current state.  On the other hand, the
RtxTimerStop() procecure is not called in a state that does not have
an outstanding request.

> same comments as for p. 14, TxEAP() is lny used for EAP-Response ?

TxEAP() at PAA sidde only used for EAP-Response.

> s/PaC/PAA

OK.

> (PSA processing without mobility support)

OK.

> is is normal to have PBR.insert_avp("MAC") 2 times ?

That is a dup.  I will remove one.

> s/FAIT_FAIL_PBA/WAIT_FAIL_PBA

OK.

> s/Resposne/Response

OK.

> s/initiated by PAA/initiated by PaC

OK.

Best regards,

Yoshihiro Ohba