Subject: [Pana] Issue 114: Clarify liveness test

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:11:12 -0800

http://danforsberg.info:8080/pana-issues/issue114

Let's add a clause to 11.8 about the liveness test side-effect of any 
valid request/answer exchange.

On top of that, I did some editorial by breaking the one big paragraph 
into smaller ones. It seems like we have been a bit on the stingy side 
with using paragraphs ;-) 

New text for section 11.8 (from version 7a):

11.8  Livenes Test

   A PANA session is associated with a session lifetime.  The session is
   terminated unless it is refreshed by a new round of EAP
   authentication before it expires.  Therefore, at the latest a
   disconnected client can be detected when its session expires.  A
   disconnect may also be detected earlier by using PANA ping messages.
   A request message can be generated by either PaC or PAA at any time
   and the peer must respond with an answer message.  A successful
   round-trip of this exchange is a simple verification that the peer is
   alive.  

   This test can be engaged when there is a possibility that the
   peer might have disconnected (e.g., after the discontinuation of data
   traffic for an extended period of time).  Periodic use of this
   exchange as a keep-alive requires additional care as it might result
   in congestion and hence false alarms.  
   
   This exchange is cryptographically protected when a PANA SA is 
   available in order to prevent threats associated with the abuse 
   of this functionality.

   Any valid PANA answer message received in response to a recently 
   sent request message can be taken as an indication of peer's
   liveness. PaC or PAA MAY forgo sending an explicit PANA-Ping-Request
   if a recent exchange has already confirmed that the peer is alive.

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana