Subject: [Pana] PSA retransmission in stateless discovery

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:50:41 -0500

I noticed that the current "Retransmission Timers" section does not
seem to include retransmision of PANA-Start-Answer.  On the other
hand, it is described in section "Discovery and Handshake Phase" that
PSA is retransmitted in the case of stateless PAA discovery.

Which is correct?

Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:47:45 -0800

I think this is an oversight. Section 8.1 must also provide timers for
PSA (same as REQ_* values).

Alper

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of
> Yoshihiro Ohba
> Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 9:51 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Pana] PSA retransmission in stateless discovery
>

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:20:18 -0500

I have some proposed text on this:

[1] In pana-pana-07c, change:

"
8.  Retransmission Timers

   The PANA protocol provides retransmissions for the PANA-PAA-Discover
   and request messages.

   The rule is that the sender of the request message retransmits the
   request if the corresponding answer is not received in time.  Answer
   messages are sent as answers to the request messages, not based on a
   timer.
"

to:

"
8.  Retransmission Timers

   The PANA protocol provides retransmissions for the
   PANA-PAA-Discover message, the PANA-Start-Answer message with a
   Cookie AVP, and all request messages except for the
   PANA-Start-Request message with a Cookie AVP.

   The retransmission rule is described as follows.  The sender of the
   PANA-PAA-Discover message retransmits the message if a
   PANA-Start-Request message is not received in time.  The sender of
   the PANA-Start-Answer message with a Cookie AVP retransmits the
   message if the first PANA-Auth-Request message is not received 
   in time.  The sender of a request message except for the
   PANA-Start-Request message with a Cookie AVP retransmits the
   message if the corresponding answer is not received in time.
   Answer messages except for the PANA-Start-Answer with a Cookie AVP
   are sent as answers to the request messages, not based on a timer.
"

[2] In pana-pana-07c, change:

"
8.1  Transmission and Retransmission Parameters

   This section presents a table of values used to describe the message
   retransmission behavior of PANA requests (REQ_*) and
   PANA-PAA-Discover message (PDI_*).  The table shows default values.
"

to:

"
8.1  Transmission and Retransmission Parameters

   This section presents a table of values used to describe the
   message retransmission behavior of PANA requests and answers that
   are retransmitted (REQ_*) and PANA-PAA-Discover message (PDI_*).
   The table shows default values.
"

Comments?

Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:43:50 -0800

>    PANA-Start-Request message with a Cookie AVP.

Earlier in the specification we have already established the term
"stateless PAA discovery." We better use that instead of "... with a
Cookie AVP." I'd say:

   The PANA protocol provides retransmissions for the
   PANA-PAA-Discover message and all request messages, with the
exception
   that PANA-Start-Answer is retransmitted instead of PANA-Start-Request
   in stateless PAA discovery.

>    are sent as answers to the request messages, not based on a timer.

We don't need this second paragraph in this section. This behavior is
already described in Section 4.2.

Alper

>    This section presents a table of values used to describe the
message

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:10:36 -0500

>    in stateless PAA discovery.

OK, that is better.

> already described in Section 4.2.

OK.

Yoshihiro Ohba