Subject: [Pana] New I-D concerning Mobile IPv6 Bootstrapping

From: Julien Bournelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:39:57 +0100

Hi all,

 FYI, we've recently submitted a new I-D concerning the Mobile IPv6
bootstrapping problem. 

-----
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : Bootstrapping Mobile IPv6 using PANA
        Author(s)       : J. Bournelle, M. Laurent-Maknavicius
        Filename        : draft-bournelle-pana-mip6-00.txt
        Pages           : 14
        Date            : 2004-12-23

A mobile node using Mobile IPv6 needs a home address, a home agent
   address and a security association with its home agent.  The problem
   is to find a way to dynamically configure those data in order to ease
   Mobile IPv6 deployment.

   We propose to use the PANA protocol for this.  Before the
   authentication phase, the PANA Authentication Agent (PAA) offers the
   Mobile IPV6 service to the PANA Client (PaC).  According to the PaC's
   response, after the authentication and authorization phase with the
   AAA infrastructure, the PAA will be in charge of allocating a home
   agent (HA) and a home address to the mobile node.  The IKE pre-shared
   key would be derived from the keys exported from the EAP method.
   Then the PAA configures the HA and gives to the PaC in a PANA-Bind
   exchange the necessary information to bootstrap Mobile IPv6.  Note
   that the IKE pre-shared key is also derived at PaC so, this key is
   only exported from the PAA to the HA.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bournelle-pana-mip6-00.txt
---

Any comments would be appreciated,

thanks,

-- 
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: "Junghoon Jee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:28:32 +0900

Hello, Julien.

I've come up with a question about your approach.
In your I-D, PAA is in charge of allocating HA and HoA for a MN.
Do you have any special reason to let the PAA to perform this operation ?
IMHO, it seems more general to let the AAA local server to perform that operation 
which is in the same network domain with PAA.

My picture is as follows,

    MN--PAA--AAAL--HA

If my understanding is right, your picture is as follows,

    MN--PAA--HA
                |
            AAAL

Regards,
Junghoon

---

From: Julien Bournelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:19:01 +0100

Hi junghoon,

> I've come up with a question about your approach.

thanks for reading this modest proposal,

> Do you have any special reason to let the PAA to perform this operation ?

no I haven't any special reason for this. The idea is to let the PAA
manage mip6 bootstrapping. It only needs to inform the AAA server that
it is configuring mip6 for a particular client.

> which is in the same network domain with PAA.o

I know that my proposal have some limitations, the HA can only be
allocate near the PAA. This implies that if you are a roaming client, I
can't allocate you an HA in your home domain. However, this proposal may
be useful for HMIPv6 (to allocate MAP)

> If my understanding is right, your picture is as follows,

I would prefer this one:

 MN ----------- PAA ------------- AAAL
                 |
                 |
                 |
                HA

regards,

---

From: "Junghoon Jee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:28:23 +0900

> thanks for reading this modest proposal,

You're welcome,
As you know, i am deeply interested in using PANA for MIP6 bootstrapping.
Currently, PANA is for a network access service.
Extending or modification of PANA for mobility service is my current concern.
One proposal about this is already proposed by Hannes.

Another question,
I would like to know the future plan of PANA WG.
Many PANA spec. are on the last call and almost complete.
I think that fast-handoff as specified in your ctp-pana draft can be an issue.

> be useful for HMIPv6 (to allocate MAP)

Right, because there is no FA in MIPv6, the consideration of HMIPv6 model can be beneficial.
As the dicussion is on-going in mobopts RG, the HMIPv6 model has a new challenge 
related with fast handoff.

>  MN ----------- PAA ------------- AAAL

What about this one ?

This means that only the authenticated and authorized MN by PAA can use HA in the local network.
After that direct communication is possible between the MN and HA.

Junghoon.

---

From: Julien Bournelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:01:42 +0100

Hi koshiro,

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 11:20:30AM +0900, Koshiro MITSUYA wrote:
> 
> I read your draft and here is some comments.

thanks a lot for reading it

> - Terminology: all your definitions are already defined in PANA and MIP 
> draft.  So that I think you don't need to define it again.  People 
> would be confuse.

in fact, it was to help people from PANA (mip6 terms) and people from
mip6 (PANA terms).

> - section 4: why do you need a home agent address here?  MIPv6 already 
> has a mechanism to find the home agent.

here this is not related especially to my I-D. This need is described in 
"Problem Statement for bootstrapping Mobile IPv6" draft

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrap-ps-01.txt

> - section 5: please clarify more 1st paragraph.  What do you mean 
> Mobile IPv6 service and a pool of HA?

For the term Mobile IPv6 service, please look at the above draft.
A pool of HA means that the operator may have many HAs to manage.
-- 
[email-masked]