Subject: RE: [Pana] PANA and lower layer ciphering

From: "Salowey, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:53:00 -0700

> >  
> >
> Yes. Or so it at least seems today. (I must confess I'm a bit 
> worried that the assumption about single lower layer at a 
> time may not hold in all future scenarios. What if you do a 
> fast handoff from a WEP link to a IPsec link?)
> 

[Joe] I think the question here is whether PANA will be involved in the
handoff. I tend to think that it won't be (but I don't really know). If
it isn't then the component that deals with the handoff should deal with
the key derivation and coordination for the lower layers. 

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:21:29 -0400

> the key derivation and coordination for the lower layers. 

PANA will be involved in the handoff and that is why pana-mobopts and
pana-ctp drafts exist.  I think fast handoff between different IP
links with different lower layers *even under the same PAA realm*
should be considered in the PANA design.  

Yoshihiro Ohba