Subject: [Pana] NEW: [issue165] Nonce and stateless PAA

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:47:02 +0300

New submission from Dan Forsberg <[email-masked]>:

Hi All

I have a question related to stateless discovery
How does a PAA using stateless discovery keep track
of the nonce it had sent to a PaC in the Start-Request
message? As per the draft

"  By relying on a cookie mechanism the PAA
   can avoid per-PaC state creation until after the PaC can produce the
   same cookie in its PANA-Start-Answer message.  In order to do that,
   the cookie MUST be computed in such a way that it does not require
   any per-session state maintenance on the PAA in order to verify the
   cookie returned in the PANA-Start-Answer message "

The cookie can be recomputed at the PAA and verified without the need
to create any state but the nonce is just a random value and cannot be
recomputed. It can neither be stored because that again amounts to state
creation
Once the session is created and authentication succeeds, PANA_MAC_KEY
needs to be computed but the PAA nonce is not available. Why not allow the
Auth-Request and Answer messages to carry the nonces rather than the
Start-Request and Answer messages? That way, the nonces are exchanged only
after state creation and that would solve the problem

Thanks and Regards

Sasikanth

----------
category: Technical
document: draft-ietf-pana-pana-08.txt
messages: 561
nosy: dforsber
priority: Must Fix
status: Pending
title: Nonce and stateless PAA
___________________________________________________
PANA Issues <[email-masked]>
<http://danforsberg.info:8080/pana-issues/issue165>
___________________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana