Subject: [Pana] 2 models for Accounting in pana-snmp ?

From: Julien Bournelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:47:45 +0200

Hi all,

 currently in draft-ietf-pana-snmp-03.txt we define two models for
 accounting:

 In model 1, the EP is colocated with PAA, and we assume that the PAA is
 the accouting client of a AAA protocol. The PAA is in charge of
 collecting accounting information from the EP.

 In model 2, the accouting client is colocated with the EP and the EP is
 in charge of sending accounting information to the AAA server.

 We could extend the model 1 by stating that the PAA receives or
 requests
 accounting information from the EP (even if the EP is not colocated
 with the PAA). In this case, the AAA accounting client is in the PAA.

 I'd like to know if you think that we should keep these 2 models or if
 we should choose one.
 
-- 
julien.bournelle at int-evry.fr

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:53:01 -0400

Hi Julien,

>  with the PAA). In this case, the AAA accounting client is in the PAA.

I am OK with extending model 1 as described above and removing model
2, because model 2 requires AAA protocol implementation on each EP and
this might not make much sense.

Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: "Radhakrishnan.S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:19:51 +0530

Hi Julien,
    IMHO, i do not forsee practical cases where an accounting client is 
implemented in EP, though the accounting statistics are easily collectable 
in EP. In most deployment scenarios both authentication and accounting 
client reside at one place. So i support extending model 1 to cover the case 
where EP is not colocated rather than having model 2.

Regards
Radhakrishnan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 18:14:45 +0200

hi julien, yoshi,

I'm sorry to dig up an old debate, but we need to be confirmed the
following question concerning model 1: does the working group consider
that SNMP meets the PANA performance requirements for transporting
accounting information ?

this concern was historically the reason for having model 2 mentioned as
well.

thanks
yacine