Subject: [Pana] pana-framework dual-stack issue: resolution

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:23:51 -0400

[1] In section 5, change:

"
   When a PRPA is configured, the client starts the PANA protocol
   exchange.  By that time, a dual-stacked client might have configured
   both an IPv4 address, and one or more IPv6 addresses as PRPAs.
"

to:

"
   When a PRPA is configured, the client starts the PANA protocol
   exchange.  By that time, a dual-stacked client might have
   configured both an IPv4 address, and one or more IPv6 addresses as
   PRPAs.  Regardless of whether the PaC has both IPv4 and IPv6 PRPAs
   or only one of those, only one PANA run is required.  A dual-stack
   device that implements PaC or PAA MUST be able to run PANA over
   both IPv4 and IPv6.  When a dual-stack PaC or PAA initiates PANA
   authentication, it choses either IPv4 or IPv6 where the choice is
   made depending on the deployment.  A dual-stack PaC or PAA that is
   initiated PANA authentication by its peer MUST use the same IP
   version that the peer is using.
"

[2] In section 5, change:

"
      If the PaC is a dual-stacked node, it can configure both IPv4 and
      IPv6 type POPAs.
"

to:

"
      If the PaC is a dual-stacked node, it can configure both IPv4
      and IPv6 type POPAs.  The availability of the two POPAs are
      indicated in the the PANA-Bind-Request message.
"

[3] In section 5, change:

"
      IKEv2 can enable configuration of one IPv4 IPsec-TIA and one IPv6
      IPsec-TIA for the same IPsec tunnel mode SA.  Therefore, IKEv2 is
      recommended for handling dual-stacked PaCs where single execution
      of PANA and IKE is desired.
"

to

"
      IKEv2 can enable configuration of one IPv4 IPsec-TIA and one
      IPv6 IPsec-TIA for the same IPsec tunnel mode SA.  Therefore,
      IKEv2 is recommended for handling dual-stacked PaCs where single
      execution of PANA and IKE is desired.  In this case, the same IP
      version that has been used for PANA is used for IKE, and the IKE
      entity on the dual-stack PaC will request one or both of IPv4
      and IPv6 IPsec-TIAs to the IKE entity on the EP and obtain the
      one(s) that is(are) available on the EP.
"

Comments are appreciated,

Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:06:56 +0300

Good. Nit: s/choses/chooses/

--Jari

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:30:32 -0700

Hi Yoshi,

>       indicated in the the PANA-Bind-Request message.

I'm not sure about the last sentence. How does the PBR indicate that?

>       and IPv6 IPsec-TIAs to the IKE entity on the EP and obtain the

Shouldn't this be "*from* the IKE entity"?

>       one(s) that is(are) available on the EP.

Alper

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:53:33 -0400

> I'm not sure about the last sentence. How does the PBR indicate that?

I implicitly meant the use of PPAC AVP in PBR.  How about revising it
as:

" The availability of the two POPA types and required POPA
configuration methods are indicated in the PANA protocol.  "

(I added more word to be explicit that we won't carry POPA itself in
the PANA protocol.  Also I replaced "PANA-Bind-Request message" with
"PANA protocol" since I think that this is a framework draft and
generic description might be preferable.)

> Shouldn't this be "*from* the IKE entity"?

You are right.  I'll fix it.

Thanks,
Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:05:49 -0700

Yoshi,

"The availability of the two POPA types and required POPA
configuration methods are indicated in the PANA protocol.  "

I don't think the availability of the two POPA types is signaled via
PANA. For example, when the PAA indicates IKEv2 is available, PaC cannot
know which types of IP addresses can be configured within IKEv2.

For that, I'd suggest:

"The availability POPA configuration methods are indicated within the
PANA protocol."

Alper

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Yoshihiro Ohba [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 9:54 AM
> To: Alper Yegin
> Cc: 'Yoshihiro Ohba'; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Pana] pana-framework dual-stack issue: resolution
>

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:46:28 -0400

I agree, except s/availability/available/.

Yoshihiro Ohba