Subject: [Pana] pana-framework: required change for re-chartering

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:52:18 -0400

I find only one part related to re-chartering in the latest snapshot
of pana-framework.

In section 7.1, change:

"
   EPs' location in the network topology should be appropriate for
   performing access control functionality.  When the access control is
   performed at link-layer, or at IP layer with the use of IPsec, the
   closest IP-capable access device to the client devices is the logical
   choice.  PAA and EPs should be aware of each other as this is
   necessary for access control.  Generally this can be achieved by
   manual configuration.  Dynamic discovery is another possibility, but
   this is left to implementations and outside the scope of this
   document.
"

to:

"
   EPs' location in the network topology should be appropriate for
   performing access control functionality.  When the access control is
   performed at link-layer, the
   closest IP-capable access device to the client devices is the logical
   choice.  PAA and EPs should be aware of each other as this is
   necessary for access control.  Generally this can be achieved by
   manual configuration.  Dynamic discovery is another possibility, but
   this is left to implementations and outside the scope of this
   document.
"

Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:22:18 -0700

>    this is left to implementations and outside the scope of this

I think we should also say something for the other types of access
control. Like:

   EPs' location in the network topology should be appropriate for
   performing access control functionality.  When the access control is
   performed at link-layer, an IP-capable access device on the same link
   as the client devices is the logical choice. When IPsec-based or
   non-cryptographic access control mechanisms are used, the EPs'
location
   can range from the first-hop router to other routers within the
access
   network. The first-hop router may be preferred in order to limit the 
   access of unauthorized IP traffic. 

   PAA and EPs should be aware of each other as this is necessary for 
   access control.  Generally this can be achieved by manual
configuration.    
   Dynamic discovery is another possibility, but this is left to 
   implementations and outside the scope of this document.

Alper

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:06:05 -0400

I agree.

Yoshihiro Ohba