Subject: [Pana] pana fwk

From: "Alper Yegin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 22:52:08 +0300

>From pana-fwk document:

   The PaC dynamically or statically configures an IP address prior to
   running PANA.  After the successful PANA authentication, depending on
   the deployment scenario the PaC may need to re-configure its IP
   address or configure additional IP address(es).  If this additional
   IP address configuration happens in the middle of an application
   protocol run, an appropriate procedure for changing an IP address
   will need to be taken so that the IP address change is transparent to
   the application protocol.

I find the last sentence less than clear. The point is, there are cases when
the IP address used during PANA needs to change after the successful
authentication. And until that happens, applications should not be using the
IP address. This is akin to availability of Mobile IP care-of address to the
Mobile IP protocol but not to general applications. The home address, when
bound to the care-of address, becomes available to the general applications.

I'd recommend this re-write:

   The PaC dynamically or statically configures an IP address prior to
   running PANA.  After the successful PANA authentication, depending on
   the deployment scenario the PaC may need to re-configure its IP
   address or configure additional IP address(es).  For example, a 
   link-local IPv6 address may be used for PANA and the PaC may be 
   allowed to configure additional global IPv6 address(es) upon
   successful authentication. Another example: A PaC may be limited to 
   use a IPv4 link-local address during PANA, and allowed to reconfigure 
   its interface with a non-link-local IPv4 address after the
authentication.
   General-purpose applications cannot use the interface until PANA 
   authentication succeeds and appropriate IP address configuration takes
   place.

Comments?

Alper

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana