Subject: [paws] I-D Action: draft-ietf-paws-problem-stmt-usecases-rqmts-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 10:08:04 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Protocol to Access WS database Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Protocol to Access White Space database: PS, use cases and rqmts
	Author(s)       : Scott Probasco
                          Gabor Bajko
                          Basavaraj Patil
                          Brian Rosen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-paws-problem-stmt-usecases-rqmts-00.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2011-09-09

   Portions of the radio spectrum that are allocated to a licensed,
   primary user but are unused or unoccupied at specific locations and
   times are defined as &quot;white space&quot;.  The concept of allowing
   secondary transmissions (licensed or unlicensed) in white space is a
   technique to &quot;unlock&quot; existing spectrum for new use.  An obvious
   requirement is that these secondary transmissions do not interfere
   with the primary use of the spectrum.  One approach to using the
   white space spectrum at a given time and location is to verify with a
   database available channels.

   This document describes the concept of TV White Spaces.  It also
   describes the problems that need to be addressed for enabling the use
   of the primary user owned white space spectrum for secondary users,
   without causing interference, by querying a database which knows the
   channel availability at any given location and time.  A number of
   possible use cases of this spectrum and derived requirements are also
   described.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-paws-problem-stmt-usecases-rqmts-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-paws-problem-stmt-usecases-rqmts-00.txt

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 11:32:07 -0600

<hat type='AD'/>

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-paws-problem-stmt-usecases-rqmts-00.txt

It's good to see this as a working group item.

In general, it is problematic for working group chairs to also be
document editors, since it becomes difficult for the chairs to
objectively declare consensus and such. See RFC 2418:

   As a general practice, the Working Group Chair and Document Editor
   positions are filled by different individuals to help ensure that the
   resulting documents accurately reflect the consensus of the working
   group and that all processes are followed.

Unless there is a good reason for Gabor and Brian to remain as document
editors, I would suggest that they be mentioned in a new section
entitled "Contributors" so that only Scott and Basavaraj would remain as
document editors.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 19:34:55 +0000

Removing my name from the top should not be a problem. 
Next revision will have it as you suggested.
-Gabor

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext Peter Saint-Andre
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 10:32 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [paws] I-D Action: draft-ietf-paws-problem-stmt-usecases-rqmts-00.txt

<hat type='AD'/>

In general, it is problematic for working group chairs to also be document editors, since it becomes difficult for the chairs to objectively declare consensus and such. See RFC 2418:

Unless there is a good reason for Gabor and Brian to remain as document editors, I would suggest that they be mentioned in a new section entitled "Contributors" so that only Scott and Basavaraj would remain as document editors.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

_______________________________________________
paws mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/paws

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 16:05:30 -0600

Thanks, Gabor. We will make sure that you and Brian receive proper
attribution for all your hard work. :)

On 9/9/11 1:34 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Removing my name from the top should not be a problem. Next revision
> will have it as you suggested. -Gabor
> 
> -----Original Message----- From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext Peter Saint-Andre 
> Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 10:32 AM To: [email-masked] Subject:
> Re: [paws] I-D Action:
> draft-ietf-paws-problem-stmt-usecases-rqmts-00.txt
> 
> <hat type='AD'/>
> 
>> Title           : Protocol to Access White Space database: PS, use
>> cases and rqmts Author(s)       : Scott Probasco Gabor Bajko 
>> Basavaraj Patil Brian Rosen Filename        :
>> draft-ietf-paws-problem-stmt-usecases-rqmts-00.txt
> 
> positions are filled by different individuals to help ensure that
> the resulting documents accurately reflect the consensus of the
> working group and that all processes are followed.
> 
> Unless there is a good reason for Gabor and Brian to remain as
> document editors, I would suggest that they be mentioned in a new
> section entitled "Contributors" so that only Scott and Basavaraj
> would remain as document editors.
> 
> Peter
> 
> -- Peter Saint-Andre https://stpeter.im/
>