Subject: [Pce] PCE and ForCES WG difference

From: "Kulkarni, Hrishikesh (Hrishikesh)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:11:40 +0530

Hi all,

I was going through Forwarding and Control Element Separation (ForCES)
Framework http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3746.txt

which provides a framework to separate the control (routing) and the
forwarder functionality.

How is this working group goals or architecture suggestions different from
the one being 
suggested by PCE?

is one of them a subset of the other? 

thanks
rishi.

_______________________________________________
Pce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:26:34 +0100

Hi Rishi,

This is a good question which probably applies equally to ForCES and GSMP.

If you were to draw a simplistic picture of the ForCES or GSMP model it would show a clear
separation of the control and data planes. The programming protocol (e.g. NetLink or GSMP)
operates between the control element and the data element to achieve programming in the
data plane.

PCE, on the other hand, is a facilitator for the control plane. Thus the PCC is a control
element and makes requests of the PCE which is also functionally a control element. There
is no new interaction with the data plane in this model.

In fact, PCE could be used in the ForCES model, the GSMP model, or the MPLS/GMPLS model
where the data and control plane elements are co-resident in an LSR.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks,
Adrian