Subject: [Pce] Protocol Action: 'Experimental Codepoint Allocation for the Path Computation Element communication Protocol (PCEP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pce-pcep-exp-codepoints-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 13:50:40 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Experimental Codepoint Allocation for the Path Computation Element
   communication Protocol (PCEP)'
  (draft-ietf-pce-pcep-exp-codepoints-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Path Computation Element Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pce-pcep-exp-codepoints/

Technical Summary

IANA assigns values to the Path Computation Element (PCE)
communication Protocol (PCEP) parameters (messages,
objects, TLVs). IANA established a top-level registry to contain
all PCEP codepoints and sub-registries.  This top-level registry
contains sub-registries for PCEP message, object and TLV types.
The allocation policy for each of these sub-registries is IETF Review.

This document updates RFC 5440 by changing the allocation policies
for these three registries to mark some of the code points as
assigned for Experimental Use.

Working Group Summary

PCEP implementers have been struggling for a while without
an option to use experimental code points in their early
implementations. This draft was welcomed by everyone in
the working group as a much-needed improvement.

Document Quality

Several implementers have confirmed that they intend
to start making immediate use of the experimental code points.
Adrian Farrel did a close review and provided guidance on the
right form of words to pass to IANA.  He subsequently became
a co-author.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Jonathan Hardwick
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard