Subject: [Pce] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-pce-lsp-setup-type-08

From: Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 07:22:32 -0800

Reviewer: Dan Romascanu
Review result: Has Issues

I am the assigned OPS-DIR reviewer for this draft. The OPS DIrectorate reviews
a great part of the IETF documents being processed by the IESG for the OPS ADs.
Please treat with these comments as with all other IETF LC comments. Please
wait for direction from your document shepherd or AD before posting a new
version of the draft.

This document is an extension of PCEP to allow for other LSP setup methods than
RSVP-TE to be used. For this purpose it defines two new TLVs and details their
operation.

This is an extension of an existing protocol. An RFC 5706 review applies.

While the document seems to be focused to developers and implementers of PCEP,
it is not clear what is the impact from an operational point of view and there
are no considerations related to manageability. Maybe these are detailed in
other documents - in this case a reference would be useful.

Here are a few issues. For a complete list of questions, see Annex A in RFC
5706.

1. Why were these extensions needed? Do they improve efficiency? Are there
classes of devices that do not support RSVP-TE and need the new methods?

2. How are the new TLVs going to be deployed and managed? Does an operator have
the option of selecting one LSP setup method or the other? How and what are the
criteria of selections?

3. There is no discussion about initial setup and configuration. Are there any
initial configuration parameters? If yes, how are they set up?

4. Are there any backwards compatibility and migration path issues operators
should be aware about?

5. What is the expected impact on network operation?

6. How is correct operation visible to the operators? Are there any fault
conditions that need to be reported to operators?

7. Are there any existing management interfaces (e.g. YANG models) that need to
be defined or extended?