Subject: [PCN] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 09:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Metering and marking behaviour of PCN-nodes
	Author(s)       : P. Eardley
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-03.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2009-05-08

The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain,
in a simple, scalable and robust fashion.  This document specifies
the two metering and marking behaviours of PCN-nodes.  Threshold-
metering and -marking marks all PCN-packets if the PCN traffic rate
is greater than a configured rate ("PCN-threshold-rate").  Excess-
traffic-metering and -marking marks a proportion of PCN-packets, such
that the amount marked equals the traffic rate in excess of a
configured rate ("PCN-excess-rate").  The level of marking allows
PCN-boundary-nodes to make decisions about whether to admit or
terminate PCN-flows.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 17:34:07 +0100

Hi

I updated the metering & marking behaviours draft to take account of the
Last Call comments (thanks for the comments!) (I also took account of
comments during the IESG review of the architecture draft)

Scott, Steve - I think this is now ready for the next stage = WG Chair
processing?

Best wishes
Phil

6.1.  Changes to -03 from -02

   Updates to take account of last call comments as follows:

   o  renamed from "marking" to "metering and marking" (throughout) -
      the former was intended as shorthand for the latter, but this was
      found confusing

   o  added 'common capsule' summary of PCN to Introduction and removed
      extraneous material

   o  replaced the term 'traffic conditioning' by 'dropping'
      (throughout) - since the former has a wider meaning than just
      dropping.

   o  discussion of the case with baseline encoding where there are two
      PCN states - this is now done just once - in Section B.2.

   o  added in Section B.5 "The PCN-threshold-rate is configured at less
      than the rate allocated to the PCN-traffic class" and in B.6 "The
      PCN-excess-rate is configured at less than (or possibly equal to)
      the rate allocated to the PCN-traffic class".

   o  configuring the PCN-excess-rate at greater than (or possibly equal
      to) the PCN-threshold-rate - this is now in one place, as advice
      is B5 & B6.

   o  SB.1: "voice-admit" corrected with references to I-D ietf-tsvwg-
      admitted-realtime-dscp and RFC5127.

   o  "CL/SM edge behaviour" altered to the less obscure "controlled
      load edge behaviour" and a reference added.

   o  S2.3, 2.4 & Appendix A: altered some of the abbreviations, for
      better consistency with approach of RFC2698. eg TBthreshold.fill
      => Ttm.

   o  the ACKs section improved

   o  other minor corrections and clarifications

{ -----Original Message-----
{ From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
{ [email-masked]
{ Sent: 08 May 2009 17:15
{ To: [email-masked]
{ Cc: [email-masked]
{ Subject: [PCN] I-D Action:draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-03.txt
{ 
{ A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
{ directories.
{ This draft is a work item of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion
{ Notification Working Group of the IETF.
{ 
{ 
{ 	Title           : Metering and marking behaviour of PCN-nodes
{ 	Author(s)       : P. Eardley
{ 	Filename        : draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-03.txt
{ 	Pages           : 21
{ 	Date            : 2009-05-08
{ 
{ The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
{ quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain,
{ in a simple, scalable and robust fashion.  This document specifies
{ the two metering and marking behaviours of PCN-nodes.  Threshold-
{ metering and -marking marks all PCN-packets if the PCN traffic rate
{ is greater than a configured rate ("PCN-threshold-rate").  Excess-
{ traffic-metering and -marking marks a proportion of PCN-packets, such
{ that the amount marked equals the traffic rate in excess of a
{ configured rate ("PCN-excess-rate").  The level of marking allows
{ PCN-boundary-nodes to make decisions about whether to admit or
{ terminate PCN-flows.
{ 
{ A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
{ http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-marking-behaviour-
{ 03.txt
{ 
{ Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
{ ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
{ 
{ Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
{ implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
{ Internet-Draft.