Subject: [pcp] option overflow/truncated option

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 17:32:39 +0200

Another formal question about a case I could name truncated option
or option overflow (BTW this alternative is a part of the question :-):
 - a request includes an option with length N (so on 4*(N+1) octets)
 - the request truncates the option to less than 4*(N+1) octets or
  with other words the request parsing goes after the end of the
  request when it deals with the option
 - BTW it is not part of the option processing but before, i.e.,
  the response should not depend on the particular truncated /
  overflowing option
 - there is a similar issue about option headers but the 4 octet
  alignment constraint should make impossible to exercise the
  corresponding check code (BTW this doesn't mean the check is
  optional :-)
 - we have the choice between MALFORMED_OPTION and MALFORMED_REQUEST,
  in fact it is a matter of taste between the error is in the option
  or the error is in the request, IMHO both are valid...

Thanks

[email-masked]