Subject: [pcp] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-zhou-behave-syslog-nat-logging-01.txt

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 15:48:49 -0400

draft-zhou-behave-syslog-nat-logging was presented in Vancouver and was 
the subject of a fair amount of discussion. People were not convinced 
that operators would want NAT logging, even if the volume of data 
generated is cut down by orders of magnitude through allocation of 
blocks of ports. There was also the question of whether operators could 
agree on the log contents they require.

The authors have accepted this verdict, and are prepared to wait until 
operator demand emerges. In the meantime, the draft has been drastically 
rewritten to focus on the format for a SYSLOG record, with the 
philosophy that all parameters are optional. Each operator selects the 
subset most relevant to their deployment.

As mentioned in the Abstract, the authors see an opportunity to expand 
the scope of the draft to include PCP logging. The present draft just 
has indications of this possibility -- the authors have not thought it 
through. If the draft takes that route, it would probably define 
multiple log types to handle the different PCP operations.

Tom Taylor

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for 
draft-zhou-behave-syslog-nat-logging-01.txt
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 12:34:35 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-zhou-behave-syslog-nat-logging-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by T. Taylor and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-zhou-behave-syslog-nat-logging
Revision:	 01
Title:		 Syslog Format for NAT Logging
Creation date:	 2012-09-06
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 8
URL: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhou-behave-syslog-nat-logging-01.txt
...
Abstract:
    Under some circumstances operators will need to maintain a dynamic
    record of external address and port assignments made by a Carrier
    Grade NAT (CGN), and will find it feasible and convenient to create
    such records using SYSLOG (RFC 5424).  The present document
    standardizes a SYSLOG format to meet that recording requirement.  It
    specifies a number of fields that could be a part of the log report,
    leaving it up to operators to select the fields needed for their
    specific circumstances.

    [*** Subject to discussion*** The log format presented here may also
    be used by PCP server implementations to log the mappings they
    implement.]

...