Subject: [pcp] TR: I-D Action: draft-boucadair-pcp-sfc-classifier-control-00.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 07:49:24 +0200

Dear all,

I submitted this new draft to discuss issues related to the control of packet classier. 

Comments are more than welcome.

Cheers,
Med

-----Message d'origine-----
De : I-D-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de [email-masked]
Envoyé : mercredi 16 avril 2014 14:48
À : [email-masked]
Objet : I-D Action: draft-boucadair-pcp-sfc-classifier-control-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : PCP as a Traffic Classifier Control Protocol
        Author          : Mohamed Boucadair
	Filename        : draft-boucadair-pcp-sfc-classifier-control-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2014-04-16

Abstract:
   This document specifies how PCP (Port Control Protocol) can be used
   as a classifier control protocol.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-boucadair-pcp-sfc-classifier-control/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-pcp-sfc-classifier-control-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 22:59:16 +0000

Hi Med,

This is a good draft. I was envisioning a similar relationship between PCP
and SFC in which flow characteristics communicated via PCP could be used
as input into the an SFC classifier. In addition to L2/L3/L4 information,
the information included in the proposed PCP Flowdata Option
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wing-pcp-flowdata-00) seem useful as
well. Using PCP to help with SFC classification is a good example of the
more general problem described in the AEON problem statement and
requirements draft 
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eckel-aeon-problem-statement-00).

Cheers,
Charles

On 4/16/14, 10:49 PM, "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>pcp mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcp

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:59:18 +0200

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your message. 

FLOWDATA is indeed an option that could be used for classification purposes. This is recorded briefly in the draft:

   o  Explicit actions: re-mark, drop, shape (can be used with
      FLOWDATA).

The exact details on how FLOWDATA can be used are not included in this version because I wanted -00 to focus on the problem to be solved.

It seems to me that aeon is application-driven, which is not the case for the pcp classifier draft. The classification function is not controlled by a user/external application, it is under the responsibility of the administrative entity managing the network.

Cheers,
Med

>De : Charles Eckel (eckelcu) [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Envoyé : mardi 22 avril 2014 00:59
>À : BOUCADAIR Mohamed IMT/OLN; [email-masked]
>Objet : Re: [pcp] TR: I-D Action: draft-boucadair-pcp-sfc-classifier-
>control-00.txt
>
>Hi Med,
>

---

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:31:39 +0000

On 4/22/14, 12:59 AM, "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>FLOWDATA is indeed an option that could be used for classification
>purposes. This is recorded briefly in the draft:
>
>The exact details on how FLOWDATA can be used are not included in this
>version because I wanted -00 to focus on the problem to be solved.
>
>It seems to me that aeon is application-driven, which is not the case for
>the pcp classifier draft. The classification function is not controlled
>by a user/external application, it is under the responsibility of the
>administrative entity managing the network.

True; however, flowdata specified by the PCP client as a result of
user/external application input may be useful to the classification
function if provided to it by the PCP server. If not specified by the
user/application, how else would you anticipate getting the flowdata in
the first place?

Cheers,
Charles

>>>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-boucadair-pcp-sfc-classifier-cont
>>>ro
>>>l/
>>>

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 08:49:21 +0200

Hi Charles,

The FLOWDATA can be a result of requirements expressed by a service provider or an internal service team to the network provider. This can be for instance captured using a connectivity provisioning profile (see for example https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-boucadair-connectivity-provisioning-profile/) or a result of a provisioning negotiation cycle (see for example https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-boucadair-connectivity-provisioning-protocol/). This model does not require an explicit invocation from the client. The network is prepared (i.e., policies are enforced to handle packets from the client) without any involved from the client side.

The model described above and AEON are not conflicting as both may co-exist in a network. I see both of them as means to trigger policy enforcement to accommodate as much as possible customers' requirements.

Cheers,
Med

>Envoyé : jeudi 24 avril 2014 18:32