Subject: [pcp] Martin Stiemerling's No Objection on draft-ietf-pcp-proxy-08: (with COMMENT)

From: "Martin Stiemerling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 01:56:03 -0700

Martin Stiemerling has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-pcp-proxy-08: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pcp-proxy/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have these comments and questions:

1) There is no clear definition of what a PCP proxy really is. Section 1.
shows it as a pure signalling entity only w/o any NAT functionality (no
mapping functionality) but the document body itself talks about PCP
proxies having a mapping table (and also the possibility of not --
Section 3.4.1). Adding such a statement about the PCP proxy is or can be
to the intro or the terminology section is a good thing.

2) Section 3.1 talks about hairpinning:
There is a potential noteable issue in terms of network management: If
the PCP proxy is performing the hair pinning for the Assigned External
Address, the byte counters on the PCP server and the proxy will differ
for the Assigned External Address. This might be worth to note in a
network managment section (or elsewhere in the document).

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 12:20:11 +0000

Hi Martin,

Please see inline. 

Cheers,
Med

> -----Message d'origine-----
> De : pcp [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Martin Stiemerling
> Envoyé : jeudi 9 juillet 2015 10:56
> À : The IESG
> Cc : [email-masked]
> Objet : [pcp] Martin Stiemerling's No Objection on draft-ietf-pcp-proxy-
> 08: (with COMMENT)
> 
> 1) There is no clear definition of what a PCP proxy really is.

[Med] There is a concise definition in Section 1: 

" the PCP proxy is logically equivalent
   to a PCP client back-to-back with a PCP server.  The "glue" between
   the two is what is specified in this document."

If you think this is not sufficient, what about adding this NEW text:

   "The PCP Proxy is responsible for relaying PCP messages received from
   PCP clients to upstream PCP servers and vice versa.

   Whether the PCP Proxy is co-located with a flow-aware function (e.g.,
   NAT, firewall) is deployment-specific."

 Section 1.
> mapping functionality)

[Med] Only PCP functional elements are shown in Figure 1 because there is no assumption about the colocation of the PCP Proxy with a function it may control. Section 1.1 is an example of a PCP Proxy that is collocated with a NAT, while Section 1.2 is about a PCP proxy which does not interact with a PCP-controlled function. 

 but the document body itself talks about PCP
> to the intro or the terminology section is a good thing.

[Med] There is always a mapping table maintained by the PCP proxy because this is a logical consequence of the PCP Proxy being defined as "a PCP client back-to-back with a PCP server". Section 3.4.1 is about the colocation with NAT, not about PCP mapping tables. 

> network managment section (or elsewhere in the document).

[Med] What about this adding this NEW text: 

  "Note that traffic counters maintained by an upstream PCP server will
   differ from the ones of a PCP Proxy implementing the optimized
   hairpin routing."

> 
> _______________________________________________
> pcp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcp

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 16:16:47 +0200

Hi Mohamed,

>     NAT, firewall) is deployment-specific."

This text is fixing my issue here.

>     differ from the ones of a PCP Proxy implementing the optimized

jep, that works.

Thanks,

   Martin