Subject: [pcp] Jari Arkko's Discuss on draft-ietf-pcp-anycast-07: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: "Jari Arkko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 06:42:23 -0700

Jari Arkko has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-pcp-anycast-07: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pcp-anycast/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for writing this useful document. Before recommending its
approval
I would like to raise one small question.

I believe it might be appropriate to use clearer language to specify
that
BCP 105 (RFC4085) recommendations are to be followed. That is, that
there needs to be a configuration mechanism to override these addresses.

Specifically, I think you might want to change 

  These well-known addresses may be hard-coded into PCP clients. 

to 

 PCP clients may default to the use of these well-known addresses

and in the later statement about configuration or override, consider
the use of "SHOULD" instead of "should".

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Points 2 and 3 from Robert Spark's Gen-ART review should be considered.