Subject: [pcp] RFC 7652 on Port Control Protocol (PCP) Authentication Mechanism

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 16:40:03 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7652

        Title:      Port Control Protocol (PCP) Authentication 
                    Mechanism 
        Author:     M. Cullen, S. Hartman,
                    D. Zhang, T. Reddy
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      34
        Characters: 78237
        Updates:    RFC 6887

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pcp-authentication-14.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7652

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7652

An IPv4 or IPv6 host can use the Port Control Protocol (PCP) to
flexibly manage the IP address-mapping and port-mapping information
on Network Address Translators (NATs) or firewalls to facilitate
communication with remote hosts.  However, the uncontrolled
generation or deletion of IP address mappings on such network devices
may cause security risks and should be avoided.  In some cases, the
client may need to prove that it is authorized to modify, create, or
delete PCP mappings.  This document describes an in-band
authentication mechanism for PCP that can be used in those cases.
The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) is used to perform
authentication between PCP devices.

This document updates RFC 6887.

This document is a product of the Port Control Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC