Subject: Re: [pcp] #75 (third-party-id-option): Dave Thaler's comments on draft-ietf-pcp-third-party-id-option-00

From: "pcp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 15:40:38 -0000

#75: Dave Thaler's comments on draft-ietf-pcp-third-party-id-option-00

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 1) Not taken care

 2) Checked the text, it was taken care

 3) Checked the text, it was taken care

 4) Checked the text, it was taken care

 5) Checked the text, not clear justification.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-pcp-third-party-id-
  [email-masked]  |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  third-       |     Version:  1.0
  party-id-option        |  Resolution:
 Severity:  In WG Last   |
  Call                   |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/pcp/trac/ticket/75#comment:1>
pcp <http://tools.ietf.org/pcp/>

---

From: "pcp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 20:22:10 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 on 1) When the term "tunnel ID" is used in the text, it refers to example
 scenarios where indeed the THIRD_PARTY_ID is used as tunnel ID. I don't
 see how to avoid that without decreasing clarity of the text. Below please
 find all occurrences of the term "tunnel ID" in the draft. They all make
 sense:

 >    ... that the new THIRD_PARTY_ID serves in this scenario.  It
 >    carries the additional identifier, that is the tunnel ID ...

 >    To support the latter option, the BRAS needs to register the
 >    subscriber's tunnel IDs at the AAA Server at the time it contacts the
 >    AAA server for authentication and/or authorization of the subscriber.
 >    The tunnel IDs to be registered per subscriber at the AAA server may
 >    include the tunnel between CPE and BRAS, between BRAS and UPnP IGD-
 >    PCP IWF, and between BRAS and CGN.  The UPnP IGD-PCP IWF queries the
 >    AAA Server for the ID of the tunnel between BRAS and CGN, because
 >    this is the identifier to be used as the THIRD_PARTY_ID in the
 >    subsequent port mapping request.

 >    The Web Portal queries the AAA Server for the
 >    subscriber's tunnel ID of tunnel(BRAS, CGN) which was reported by the
 >    BRAS.  The returned tunnel ID of tunnel(BRAS, CGN) is used as the
 >    THIRD_PARTY_ID in the subsequent port mapping request.

 >    Despite the fact that above scenarios solely use tunnel IDs the
 >    THIRD_PARTY_ID can include any Layer-2 identifier like a MAC address
 >    or other subscriber identifiers as mentioned in section 6 of
 >    [I-D.boucadair-pcp-sfc-classifier-control].

 This should close this ticket.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/pcp/trac/ticket/75#comment:2>
pcp <http://tools.ietf.org/pcp/>

---

From: "pcp issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 10:24:21 -0000

Point 5) has been addressed on the mailing list on January 16, see
 https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/pcp/W7eNVG6QNYDMpJhu6LXbdUQDR04

 There was no objection on the explanation given in this email on the
 mailing list or in the issue tracker.

 Below please find the relevant text from this email:

 > > > 5) Section 5.3 on processing a response has a new requirement
 > > > "SHOULD report an error"
 > > >      which is not in RFC 6887 section 11.4 or 12.4.   Is this really
 a
 > > > requirement?  I'm ok
 > > >     either way, but not sure why this specific error response would
 > > > be special in terms
 > > >     of what should be reported to somewhere.
 > > >

 Reporting an error is kept in the text.
 Without reporting an error we wouldn't need a diversity of error codes
 because the PCP client can't recover from using a wrong identifier on its
 own
 and most probably must be re-configured manually by the subscriber.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/pcp/trac/ticket/75#comment:3>
pcp <http://tools.ietf.org/pcp/>