Subject: [Pearg] Thanks!

From: Shivan Sahib <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 18:39:52 +0700

Thanks everyone for attending the meeting today, especially our presenters.
Apologies that we ran over by a bit, and it would be good to continue the
conversations on list. Also if people have ideas on what would be good work
items for the RG, please suggest!

- Shivan

---

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 10:53:13 +0700

On 07/11/2018 18:39, Shivan Sahib wrote:
> Thanks everyone for attending the meeting today, especially our
> presenters. Apologies that we ran over by a bit, and it would be good to
> continue the conversations on list. Also if people have ideas on what
> would be good work items for the RG, please suggest!
> 

Thanks for a great meeting, Shivan!

I'm interested in working on a draft that addresses the inherent tension
between measurement and privacy. I've spoken to a few academics about
the topic already but if there is anyone currently engaged in this group
who would like to help with the structure of this document I'm open to
discussing off list at this stage!

-Mallory

-- 
Mallory Knodel
Head of Digital :: article19.org
gpg fingerprint :: E3EB 63E0 65A3 B240 BCD9  B071 0C32 A271 BD3C C780

---

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 12:06:33 +0700

Hi Mallory, hi all,

please note that RFC 7258 has one paragraph on this tension:

"While PM is an attack, other forms of monitoring that might fit the
   definition of PM can be beneficial and not part of any attack, e.g.,
   network management functions monitor packets or flows and anti-spam
   mechanisms need to see mail message content.  Some monitoring can
   even be part of the mitigation for PM, for example, certificate
   transparency [RFC6962] involves monitoring Public Key Infrastructure
   in ways that could detect some PM attack techniques.  However, there
   is clear potential for monitoring mechanisms to be abused for PM, so
   this tension needs careful consideration in protocol design.  Making
   networks unmanageable to mitigate PM is not an acceptable outcome,
   but ignoring PM would go against the consensus documented here.  An
   appropriate balance will emerge over time as real instances of this
   tension are considered.“

Mirja

> Am 08.11.2018 um 10:53 schrieb Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>:
> 
> Pearg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/pearg

---

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 06:37:25 +0000 (UTC)

Excellent. This will be a useful reference and thanks for sharing it. 
-M

----- Original Message -----
From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
To: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 05:06:33 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: [Pearg] Thanks!

Hi Mallory, hi all,

Mirja