Subject: [PEPPERMINT] Proposed charter V3

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:28:39 -0500

Comments and flames always welcome.

PROPOSED CHARTER FOR PEPPERMINT

The IETF has been working on various aspects of session-based Multimedia
Interconnection among administrative domains. In addition, the IETF has done
significant work on data exchanges among various network elements. 

ENUM is specifically chartered to develop protocols that involve the
translation of E.164 numbers to URI's.
 
SPEERMINT has been chartered to develop best current practices among
real-time application service providers and how such services interconnect
across administrative boundaries.

The PEPPERMINT work group is chartered to define what data needs to be
exchanged among Multimedia administrative domains, and how that data should
be structured provisioned and propagated. These protocols would be outside
the normal scope of establishing various forms of a SIP session. These
administrative domains are of any practical size and could be service
providers or enterprise SIP proxy's, such as PBX's.

Data exchanges to facilitate session-based Multimedia Interconnection are
typically between various Client User Agents and Registries or bilateral or
multilateral Registry to Registry.  Data exchanges could include bulk data
as well as real time updates. Typical data include mappings of phone numbers
to URIs, policies surrounding admission to various points of network
interconnection and various types of trunk data.  In addition, there is a
specific need for redistribution of such Registry data to various types of
network databases.  

The working group will draw upon expert advice and ongoing consultation from
the ENUM, SPEERMINT and PROVREG working groups. The working group may also
reuse elements of RFC 4114, if possible.

The final work product(s) from this working group will utilize and be based
on XML documents and XML document exchanges.

PROPOSED GOALS AND MILESTONES

Requirements for Interconnection data exchanges.         Sept 08 

Provisioning of Interconnection data registries.         Nov 08

Provisioning of Interconnection data caches.             Feb 09 

Richard Shockey
Director, Member of the Technical Staff
NeuStar
46000 Center Oak Plaza - Sterling, VA 20166
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 
PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> 
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>

_______________________________________________
PEPPERMINT mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/peppermint