Subject: [Pidloc] IETF 108 Side Meeting minutes

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 13:37:14 -0500

Here I copy the minutes taken by Dirk, any corrections please let me know?

minutes of pidloc july 28, 2020, 18h UTC @ IETF#108 online

Name   Attendance      Response

von Hugo, Dirk  Meeting Organizer        None

[email-masked]        Required Attendee       None

Tim Cappalli     Optional Attendee       Tentative

[email-masked] Optional Attendee       Accepted

Peter Maynard Optional Attendee       Declined

Robert E Mahoney        Optional Attendee       Declined

Truscott, Andrew J.       Optional Attendee       Declined

Darrel Lewis (darlewis) Optional Attendee       Accepted

Mark Baushke   Optional Attendee       Accepted

[email-masked]  Optional Attendee       Tentative

Suhas Nandakumar (snandaku)  Optional Attendee       Accepted

Aaron Woland (aawoland)         Optional Attendee       Declined

Gibbs, Michael Optional Attendee       Accepted

Strasser Jürgen Optional Attendee       Declined

Eugene Efimochkin -X (eefimoch - Flint Russia at Cisco)  Optional
Attendee       Accepted

[email-masked]      Optional Attendee       Accepted

Smith, Ned       Optional Attendee       Tentative

Landfield, Kent Optional Attendee       Declined

Karen O'Donoghue       Optional Attendee       Declined

[email-masked]        Optional Attendee       Accepted

Scrivano, Joe (Nokia - CA)          Optional Attendee       Declined

[email-masked]          Optional Attendee       Tentative

Seth Ross          Optional Attendee       Declined

Behcet presented the slide set on PidLoc Issues in Edge Computing

Luigi on adequate degree of p/s/c

Adam on autonomous agents

Bob on MLS architecture for multiple parties

Philip wants to understands why EC specs solved by idloc approach?

Luigi: IdLoc for required level of indirection – E2E one needs at least NwH
clear for fwd traffic in some form (new header = encapsulation or ..)

Clarifying the message - E2E from device to Edge server

Today IoT will never have full IPv6 stack – not sure what in future

Mark (Baushke): idLoc does provide extra mechanism for hiding traffic flow
analytics possibility – smart grid example with packet counting

Adam: protection of data down the wire (encryption topic) is important

Luigi comments: when you start to encrypt a LocId solution – Traffic
Engineering practices have to be revised!

Behcet points to LISP work and Dino – domain absolutely needing IdLoc with
EC as example and industry taking it up

Adam: for critical technologies using HIP for P&S was a good thing in
isolating 2 classes of users – small network over the internet

Bob looked since 25 years on engineering around this problem not taking up
this approach (aircraft space Id broadcast) – sad fact!

Behcet remembers ideas BoF on HIP which never proceeded further
–idloc  Transport or Network layer?!

Bob: Host Identity Tags a focal point in moving and multi-homing
environment – IETF has never been interested – not to change the
architecture. Upcoming new worldwide application of edge computing …

Mark: contact tracing may be application – sensors or apps to find
geolocation for devices or congestion point in time and space … apple and
google have apps on their phones for

Bob: multi-lateration (well-understood technology) 11ac going down to inch
resolution / Bluetooth Id tracing

Mark: may have impact on idloc – Bob mentions location mis-use for breaking
in a car to steal notebook inside.

GPS and BT low energy to enable location.

Mark: technology is there – Bobs draft ‘Crowd Sourced Remote ID’
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moskowitz-drip-crowd-sourced-rid-04
Behcet asked if anyone has hands on experience on Edge Computing or EC?
Anyone working in companies like Fastly/ It would be good to get
state-of-art on EC.