Subject: Re: your mail

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:58:25 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Peng Fei wrote:

> Thank you for your interests and your help. I have sent the draft to IETF,

draft-fpend-wecn00.txt.doc

What, in proprietary Word 97 format? It should die a quick and
painful death.

A wireless-only W-ECN flag strikes me as a non-starter and your use of
bit 5 in the IP TOS octet conflicts with diffserv; i.e. your proposal
consigns the Internet to best-effort service.

Signalling additional TCP functionalities in SYN/SYN-ACK packets on
setup is interesting, but likely to conflict with shortening the
three-way handshake and sending the first segment straight off the
bat.

Then there's the whole 'why just wireless' question. Can you explain
why ECN isn't suitable for wireless networks?

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Peng Fei <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 22:22:44 +0800

Hi,

and now I copy it to you.

Fei