Subject: Transparent Ethernet Bridging

From: Patrick Cipiere <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 11:27:58 +0200

The UDLR WG have done work to standardized the backchannel on
unidirectional links:

	http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-udlr-lltunnel-02.txt

It uses IP/GRE packets to encapsulate MAC packets. Of course the draft
does'nt specify which type of MAC packets should be used, this depends
only of the MAC type of the satellite link.

One easy type to use is "Transparent Ethernet Bridging" 

 25944   6558        -      -     Trans Ether Bridging   [RFC1701]

The MAC level we are using on our satellite link i the Davic/ETSI MPE (Multiprotocol encpasulation) 
	ETSI EN 301 192 V1.1.1 (1997-08)
so even if there is no major problem to convert a MPE datagram to a
ethernet datagram, we would prefer to encapsulate MPE datagrams in
IP/GRE
So we need a IEEE ethertype number: "Transparent MPE bridging"
My question is:
- since my last reading of IEEE ethertype numbers did'nt show me a 
  "Transparent MPE bridging", do you know if someone/organization has
  plans of having such a number.

Thanks for your comments,
Patrick.