Subject: RE: WG last call for ERROR

From: "Dawkins, Spencer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:44:56 -0500

And, just to make sure we have comments during WG last call, here are a
couple:

Section 2.1, second bullet - I got a comment at the PILC WG meeting in
Pittsburgh that PMTU discovery needed to be mentioned here. Suggested new
text might be 

Was:

      - During slow start, the sender increases its window in
        units of segments. This is why it is important to use an
        appropriately sized MTU - and less reliable link layers
        often use smaller MTUs.

Suggested:

      - Less-reliable link layers often use smaller MTUs. This slows
        the rate of increase in the sender's window size during slow
        start, because the sender's window is increased in units of
        segments. Path MTU discovery allows the most rapid opening
        of the sender's window size during slow start, but a number of 
        round trips may still be required to open the window completely.

Does this seem correct/helpful?

(editorial) Section 2.2, second paragraph, first line has an extra "when" at
the end of the line - needs to be removed.

Spencer

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Falk, Aaron [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> 
> The document "End-to-end Performance Implications of Links with Errors" is
> ready for working group last call. Please send comments to the PILC mail
> list. 
> 
> A current version of the draft can be obtained from
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-error-04.txt
>

---

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:53:04 -0400

> Appendix C:
> Memory fails me: did the Transport Area WG decide to move ABC to
> "Proposed" or to "Experimental"?

ABC with a limit of increasing cwnd by no more than 1*SMSS bytes had
good consensus, I believe.  Using a more aggressive limit of 2*SMSS
bytes did not have much traction.  I'll be getting an appropriate
I-D out on the former Very Soon.

(Of course, the above is based on the sense of the room at the
meeting.  Real consensus will (or won't) materialize on the tsvwg
mailing list after I get the document revised.)

allman

---
http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/