Subject: GPRS

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:32:46 +0100

hi all.
I'm Michele from Turin(Italy).
I'm leading a reserch project about GPRS network and mechanism to 
improve TCP performance.
I was looking for some works about Latency in GPRS, but I found nothing 
on the Internet.
Can someone help me by suggesting me some links related to this subject 
or by sending me some work?

Thank you very much

Have a nice day

Michele Stillavato
Politecnico di Torino, Italy

--
Prendi GRATIS l'email universale che... risparmia: http://www.email.it/f

Bow.it porta il meglio dell'informatica direttamente a casa tua, e con lo sconto 
da Lit. 19.000 il trasporto ti costa meno di un caffè! Clicca qui:
Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=173&d=10-12

---

From: "Andrei Gurtov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:29:17 +0200

Hi,

What kind of info on GPRS latency you are looking for? The RTT for small
pings is 600-800 ms. I don't think there are many people who know the exact
components that result in this huge latency. 3gpp is working on a 'delay
budget' document to make the explicit classification on where and how long
the packets can be delayed. However, that one may be really considered for
UMTS only.

Andrei

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 22:04:30 +0100

Michele,

I would recommend you to be more specific about the GPRS system you are working 
with. Some aspects you should consider when you try to define your GPRS radio 
channel: Coding Scheme, number of PDCHs assigned to the GPRS system, number of 
users in the system, traffic generated by users, and radio channel conditions. 
When you vary these parameters (and other parameters) you get very different 
delays for a packet.

Juan Rendon