Subject: pilc: rev 09 of link submitted

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:54:34 -0500

Folks-

I just sent off rev -09 of LINK.  I think I have everyone's comments
rolled into this rev.  If not, flame away.

I imagine that with tomorrow being the I-D deadline that it is going
to take awhile for this to pop out in the I-D archive.  So, I
dropped a copy of the draft at:

    http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/share/link/

Also, in that directory are diffs against the last version of the
document (in addition to the full last rev so you can use your
favorite differ if you'd like).

Enjoy!

allman

--
Mark Allman -- BBN/NASA GRC -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/

---

From: Dan Grossman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:48:52 -0500

Mark,
Thanks, much improved.

A couple of things still (not to beat a dead horse):

  >Payload Type field of an ATM cel, indicates the end of a packet.  The

                                                    ^
                                                cell
  > packet control information (trailer) is located at the end of the
  >segment.
The trailer (at the end of the packet) contains the packet length field
and CRC.

>Bandwidth on Demand (BoD) Subnets

I'm sorry I couldn't specific  in previous comments, having needed
Gorry's clarification.  Let me now suggest the follow replacement words
for the first paragraph:

"Some subnets allow a number of stations to efficiently share a channel
by dynamically assigning transmission opportunities.  Transmission
opportunities are requested  by a station when it has packets to send.
The subnet schedules and grants  transmission opportunities sufficient
to allow the transmitting station to send one or more packets (or packet
fragments).  We call such subnets Bandwidth on Demand (BoD) subnets.
Examples of BoD subnets include Demand Assignment Multiple Access (DAMA)
satellite and terrestrial wireless networks,   IEEE 802.11 in point
coordination function (PCF) mode, and DOCSIS.  A connection oriented
network (like the PSTN, ATM or Frame Relay)  reserves resources on a
much longer timescale, and therefore is not a BoD subnet in our
taxonomy.

>dialup modems (in the upstream direction) with V.42bis error control

^

V.42

rgds
Dan