Subject: [pilc] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pilc-asym-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 07:11:48 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Performance Implications of Link Characteristics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: TCP Performance Implications of Network Path Asymmetry
	Author(s)	: H. Balakrishnan, V. Padmanabhan et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pilc-asym-08.txt
	Pages		: 37
	Date		: 2002-10-2
	
This document describes TCP performance problems that arise because 
of asymmetric effects. These problems arise in several access 
networks, including bandwidth-asymmetric networks and packet radio 
subnetworks, for different underlying reasons. However, the end 
result on TCP performance is the same in both cases: performance 
often degrades significantly because of imperfection and variability 
in the ACK feedback from the receiver to the sender.  
The document details several mitigations to these effects, which 
have either been proposed or evaluated in the literature, or are 
currently deployed in networks.  These solutions use a combination 
of local link-layer techniques, subnetwork, and end-to-end 
mechanisms, consisting of: (i) techniques to manage the channel used 
for the upstream bottleneck link carrying the ACKs, typically using 
header compression or reducing the frequency of TCP ACKs,  (ii) 
techniques to handle this reduced ACK frequency to retain the TCP 
sender's acknowledgment-triggered self-clocking and (iii) techniques 
to schedule the data and ACK packets in the reverse direction to 
improve performance in the presence of two-way traffic. Each 
technique is described, together with known issues, and 
recommendations for use. A summary of the recommendations is 
provided at the end of the document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-asym-08.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pilc-asym-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-asym-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.