Subject: RE: Processing <S, G> prunes clarification.

From: Desikan Saravanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 15:33:35 -0700

Ravi:

  I guess thats my question. How long should the upstream wait to
  get the join-override before sending its prune up? 1 sec/2sec or 
  something else.
  Usual way of doing this is to decrease the join timer to 
  Oif-deletion-delay timer and spec specifically specifies that at all 
  other places. 
  Since in this case oif does not exist, should one be created and its
  deletion-delay be set to 1/3rd the holdtime in the J/P message itself?

Des:
  I guess we should create an oif and start its deletion-delay timer,
otherwise
  it unncessarily creates prune and join traffic upstream.

Ravi:
  The point talks about "clearing" the bit (not setting it). Once 
  its cleared by first join, we need not clear it for second join. 
  But thats not a big deal. More importantly it should not be cleared
  each time a join is recvd after SPT-bit is set once. Doing that 
  would result in SPTBitClear-To-SPTBitSet switch every join interval 
 (although spec clarifies it not to be like that at other places). 
  But again, its nothing major. Just rewording "until data comes down 
  FOR THE FIRST TIME down the shortest path tree" would also do.  

Des:
  I agree with you Ravi.

Regards
Des