Subject: Re: The Assert Mechanism

From: Isidor Kouvelas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:17:15 -0700

Bill Fenner writes:
>
>>to avoid the periodic reflood upstream of the
>>assert loser, the assert winner can periodically re-assert as long as
>>there is traffic for the source.
>
>You mean the winner would retransmit its Assert before the loser's
>timer goes off to refresh the timer?  (If the loser doesn't have a
>timer then this doesn't help any when the winner dies).
>
>Of course, the DF election described in the new bidir spec could
>be used to eliminate Asserts anyway =)

Well shared trees in sparse-mode could benefit a lot by the DF mechanism
(many of the more subtle SM problems would just go away). The problem is
that you do not know specific sources in advance and hence cannot
resolve interractions with source trees that way...

Isidor

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:12:30 -0700

Bill