Subject: GenIDs in draft-ietf-pim-v2-sm-00.txt

From: Nair Venugopal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:15:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Would like a clarification about the triggered events that should occur if
a GenID capable DR reboots (section 3.1.2). Should the router with the
"next highest" DR priority (with IP addresses as tie-breakers) unicast the
most recent RP-Set information to the ("rebooted") DR when it detects the
DR with a new-GenID?

The PIM GenID I-draft (draft-ietf-pim-hello-genid-01.txt, Section 1)
suggested the following.

  "By including this GenID as an option in the 
   Hello packet, a neighbor reboot can easily be detected if its GenID 
   is different from before.  When such an event happens, the DR on the 
   LAN unicasts its most recent RP-Set information to the rebooted 
   neighbor.  If the rebooted neighbor was the DR, the next highest ip 
   address (or the next highest DR priority if this option is enabled) 
   neighbor will unicast the information."

Was this (last line in the quoted text above) excluded in the new PIM-SMv2
ID  because it would cause other problems? 

Thanks.
--Venu

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Nair Venugopal  --- [email-masked] --- 3Com WAP Engineering

---

From: "Shekhar, Ravi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:22:56 -0400

> ID  because it would cause other problems? 

My guess is that this will automatically follow the way gen-id
detected reboot will be processed.
A new gen-id from a nbr should be treated as nbr going down and 
then coming back up as a new nbr. 

In the first part of processing as "nbr going down", next highest 
ip address (or next highest DR priority) router will become the DR. 

And then in the second part of processing "as new nbr coming up",
this new DR will advertise its RP-set information to the new nbr.

Regards.

- Ravi Shekhar.