Subject: Re: The Assert Mechanism

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:42:40 -0700

In PIM Dense Mode, the outgoing interface is "pruned" and a timer is
associated with it, so that Asserts reoccur periodically to handle
failures like this.  Perhaps PIM-SM could use a similar mechanism.

  Bill

---

From: Isidor Kouvelas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:00:30 -0700

>failures like this.  Perhaps PIM-SM could use a similar mechanism.

Right and in sparse-mode, to avoid the periodic reflood upstream of the
assert loser, the assert winner can periodically re-assert as long as
there is traffic for the source.

Isidor

---

From: Liming Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 19:11:08 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Isidor Kouvelas <[email-masked]>
> 
> Bill Fenner writes:
> >

The implementations of the existing spec will simply ignore the
asserts received on pruned interfaces.

-Liming

---

From: Isidor Kouvelas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 20:02:54 -0700

>asserts received on pruned interfaces.

I guess existing sparse-mode implementations do not allow pruned interfaces
:-)

Isidor