Subject: PIM-SM draft ambiguities

From: Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:19:27 -0700

2.10 Unicast Routing Changes

   When unicast routing changes, an RPF check is done on all active
   (S,G), (*,G) and (*,*,RP) entries, and all affected expected incoming
   interfaces are updated.  In particular, if the new incoming interface
   appears in the outgoing interface list, it is deleted from the
   outgoing interface list. The previous incoming interface may be added
   to the outgoing interface list by a subsequent Join/Prune from
   downstream.  Join/Prune messages received on the current incoming
                                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shoudn't this be "the new incoming interface"? If the iif has just
changed, the "current iif" has some ambiguity.

   interface are ignored.  Join/Prune messages received on new
   interfaces or existing outgoing interfaces are not ignored. Other
   outgoing interfaces are left as is until they are explicitly pruned
   by downstream routers or are timed out due to lack of appropriate
   Join/Prune messages. If the router has a (S,G) entry with the SPT-bit
   set, and the updated iif(S,G) does not differ from iif(*,G) or
   iif(*,*,RP), then the router resets the SPT-bit.

   The router must send a Join/Prune message with S in the Join list out

Join message should be sent also for the (*,G) and the (*,*,RP)
entries that have just changed their iif toward the RP. "J/P message
with S" may create the impression that J/P is sent only toward a
source S (when appropriate), but not toward the RP.

   any new incoming interfaces to inform upstream routers that it
   expects multicast datagrams over the interface.  It may also send a
   Join/Prune message with S in the Prune list out the old incoming
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Same comment as above.

Pavlin

   interface, if the link is operational, to inform upstream routers
   that this part of the distribution tree is going away.

---

From: Liming Wei <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:17:21 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
> 

Better. Changed.

>    Join/Prune message with S in the Prune list out the old incoming

Changed to say "with S or RP in the join list...", "with S or RP in
the prune list...". The context will be clear about what this paragraph
means.

-Liming