Subject: Doubts PIM

From: "L.N.Subramanian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:01:27 +0530

Hi,
      As in RFC 2362 ,
      A router sends a periodic Join/Prune message to each
   distinct RPF neighbor associated with each (S,G), (*,G) and
  (*,*,RP) entry. Join/Prune messages are only sent if the RPF
   neighbor is a PIM neighbor.  A periodic Join/Prune message sent  
   to a particular RPF neighbor is constructed as follows:

      1 Each router determines the RP for a (*,G) entry by using
        the hash function described. The RP address 
        (with RPT and WCbits set) is included in the join list of a 
        periodic Join/Prune message under the following conditions:

           a The Join/Prune message is being sent to the RPF
             neighbor toward the RP for an active (*,G) or (*,*,RP)
             entry, and

           b The outgoing interface list in the (*,G) or (*,*,RP)
             entry is non-NULL, or the router is the DR on the same
             interface as the RPF neighbor.

   I dont understand the the second condition in 1 b? How it helps in  sending Periodic Join Message.

2)   With what Version of IGMP does PIM can operate?
      And if Querier in IGMP v2 is diiferent from DR on the LAN, then how does the DR
      knows about Group Information.This is b'cos the Election Procedure for DR and IGMP V2
      Querier are contradictory.

 - Subramanian.L.N