Subject: pimd.conf

From: Daniel Firac <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 12:39:07 +0300 (EEST)

How should look like the pimd.conf file for a simple multicast router
which has to connect 2 LAN's??
That means the router has to forward the multicast trafic from one LAN to
the other.

I have slackware 7.0 with kernel 2.2.13 and pimd-2.1.0-alpha28. 
The 'pimd -d' command works, but a simple multicast ping doesn't work.

Please help me,
 Dan Firac

---

From: Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 20:44:58 -0700

(In addition to the information by Jonathan and Asaeda-san)

> which has to connect 2 LAN's??

The default pimd.conf that comes with the distribution should do the
job.

> The 'pimd -d' command works, but a simple multicast ping doesn't work.

As a simple check, start mrouted instead. If multicast ping
doesn't work, then there is something with that machine
configuration.
For example, I just found that on recent FreeBSD,
I need "sysctl -w net.inet.icmp.bmcastecho=1" to enable mcast ping
responses (disabled by default), so you may need something similar
on Linux.

A better tool to test if a mcast router is running is "mrinfo" and
it should work for pimd as well.

Regards,
Pavlin

---

From: Daniel Firac <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 14:19:31 +0300 (EEST)

I had a firewall which blocked all multicast forwardings.
Now it's working fine. Both mping and my multicast application.

Thank you for the support,
Dan Firac.