Subject: null register message

From: sabarivel s <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 11:41:19 +0530

hi,

      in which case null register message should be sent ? I could not 
visualise the actual use of the null register message

    In response to the null register message what action is to be taken . 
RFC (2362) states the what action to be taken when register         message 
with null bit cleared is received. But doesn't say what action is to be 
taken when  null register message is received.

    If i am wrong correct me.

thanks and regards
sabaris

---

From: Rahul Bahadur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 12:22:23 -0700 (PDT)

Sabaris,

  The null Register message is intended to provide a mechanism
to help avoid a situation where the RP is overwhelmed with 
data due to expiration of the Register-Suppression-Timer at the
DR(s). The Register-Suppression-Timer should have been started 
on receipt of a Register-Stop message from the RP for that group;
the RP would have sent the Register-Stop in the event of a NULL
oif list.  If there is data to be sent, and, the Register-Suppression-
Timer is running, a null Register message is sent [Probe-Time]
seconds (default 5) before the expiration of Register-Suppression-
Timer. If the RP still does not have an oif for the group it will send a
Register-Stop to help restart the timer. 

   For more information on this I would suggest sections 3.3.1 and 3.3.2 
of draft-ietf-pim-v2-sm-01.txt (11/99).

   Regards,
   Rahul