Subject: DVMRP - PIM interop

From: "Sundeep Singatwaria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:13:53 -0700

Folks,
I have a question regarding DVMRP - PIM interop

Consider the following scenario

                                         (RP)
     DVMRP ------------ MBR ------------ PIM
      |                                   |
     (Sender)                            Receiver

The sender is on DVMRP domain and the receiver is on PIM domain. The RP is
on PIM router (in above figure)

The receiver goes away - we send a prune upstream to the DVMRP router. The
interface connecting DVMRP to MBR is pruned for approximately two hours
(based on DVMRP prune life time). Also the (S,G) entry on PIM router is
cleaned up in less than two hours. If the receiver comes back before prune
life time for DVMRP - how do we send a join upstream towards the DVMRP so
that the tree is healed.

Should the (S,G) entry created on RP be kept for greater than the prune life
time for a DVMRP intf. - so that we can send join towards the source, if the
receiver comes back. If there is some other mechanism do let me know.

Thanks.
Sundeep

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:55:48 -0700

>(based on DVMRP prune life time).

MBR's should only prune for the PIM prune lifetime.

  Bill